✭ chapter 24

claire's pov

i walk into the cafeteria already exhausted from all of my morning classes. i sit down at my usual lunch table by myself and start to pull out my lunch for the day. i stare at the food in front of me hungrily.

hopefully i'll regain some energy because today is the first day of cheer practice. we have practice every monday and thursday till five o' clock.

i'm excited, actually. well- not excited to see the bitches known as serena, liz, kimberly, payton, and chelsea of course, but excited to be able to do what i love.

i pull out my phone opening several different peoples snapchat stories when suddenly, i get a text. i look to see who the name is and my eyes instantly go wide.

jade?

i haven't heard from her in weeks.

bff: sooo guess what!? IM COMING TO VISIT U!! i wanted to keep it lowkey and surprise you but oh well. ive actually been planning this for a while now lol. i've already talked to ur mom and everything and she's letting me stay at ur house for the couple of days that i'll be there. i'm coming in tomorrow as soon as u get home from school so we'll have the friday night all to ourselves!! i miss our girls nights together haha cant wait to see u <3

i stare at the long paragraph reading it over and over again. oh my god. she's coming to see me.

claire: OMG JADE WHAT ARE U SERIOUS

a big smile starts to form on my face without me even realizing as i keep reading her message. i feel my heart bubble up with excitement just thinking about seeing my best friend again.

then, quickly, it hits me.

i'm going on a date with ethan on friday.

my heart starts to beat faster as i feel myself start to panic. maybe i should just tell ethan i need to reschedule? but what if he thinks that i'm not as interested in him if i choose someone else over him?

if i were to cancel plans with jade friday night she'd be devastated. She said she'll only be here for a couple of days so for me to cancel on her for friday is just selfish.

i can see ethan whenever i want, but jade, no. who knows when the next time i'm gonna see jade is.

i inhale a sharp breath and look back down to my phone screen seeing the typing bubble appear. suddenly, i feel a tap on my shoulder, making me jump slightly.

i turn around and look up to see a tall figure standing over me, smiling politely. i smile at him, but then my expression turns to confusion.

"alex, what are you doing here?" i say my best trying not to come off sounding harsh. i was just curious as to why he was here to talk to me. i didn't even know he had this lunch.

he chuckles and shrugs lightly, "i don't know, i saw you sitting here by yourself. i thought you'd enjoy some company."

he places his lunch tray next to my food and sits down in the spot directly next to me. i shift in my seat uncomfortably, i'm terrible in these kind of situations.

he notices the awkward tension and clears his throat, "you don't mind, do you?"

i look at his face and he looks a little nervous. i giggle making his face relax a little bit, "of course not, you're a friend."

he runs a hand through his hair and i see a grin start to show up as i look at him with a side eye.

he turns his whole body to face me and gives me a look of confusion. i take a small bite of my sandwich and turn my head to look at him. i shrug my shoulders while cracking a small smile, "what?"