✭ chapter 13

claire's pov

the bell rang dismissing school and i briskly make my way to the coach's office in the main gym. the gym's on the complete other side of the school from my last class so i need to get there quick.

my paranoia starts to overwhelm me as i think about seeing liz or one of her minions. or what if the coach is in her office? i have to make a good first impression, these types of situations are very stressful in my mind.

i walk quickly to the gym, jogging actually. i don't wanna miss the bus. i try and distract myself from overthinking so i play with the pop socket on my phone case to calm my nerves.

i turn a corner and i see the gym up ahead. there are a few people looking at me in the hallway very oddly since i'm practically running.

i just don't know if there will be many people picking up packets, and i'm not sure how long it'll take. i don't wanna risk missing the bus. if i were to miss the bus my mom would have to pick me up at 5 since she gets off of work at 4:30- which would give me less time to get ready for the party tonight.

i make it into the gym and i go towards the locker room in the back where the coaches office is. there aren't many people in the gym so i'm guessing no one is having practice in here today.

i open the locker room door and see the coaches office from a distance. i walk towards the office past the many red lockers alongside me.

i look in the window and i don't see any coaches or students in the office. i breathe out, relieved. i push open the door and see papers on the desk with a small post-it note next to the stack that reads: feel free to take one! packets are due monday on tryout day!

i grab the thick packet and put my bag down on the ground, kneeling down. i open up the front pocket of my backpack and neatly put it in my folder and zip it back up.

i stand back up fully and put my backpack on. i walk towards the door and awkwardly, someone opens the door right as i'm about to walk out. i'm about to apologize for being in the way when i become face to face with the person.

it's serena.

her arms are crossed over her chest and her eyes narrow as she comes into contact with me. her right eyebrow arches the slightest as she gives me a glare. she pushes past me rudely, "excuse me."

i roll my eyes at her childishness. so, i guess no one talks their problems out here? jesus. i don't even wanna try with these girls, they're not worth it.

i walk out of the office in silence. i try my best to shake it off and and walk out of the gym as quickly as possible so she won't be lurking behind me on my way to the buses.

luckily, the gym is right next to the bus area so i quickly push open the door to leave the school and start to walk over to my bus.

my bus was in front, very close to the door i walk out of. i glance at my phone seeing that i've made it just in time.

i walk on the bus and see liz in the very back. she's looking straight at me as soon as i get on, i bet she's been watching me walk on through the window.

she's making eye contact with me and gives me a look that makes my heart sink down low. she makes me feel so weak.

i refuse to show any sign of pain and i daringly make eye contact back at her, not looking away. i raise my eyebrows at her and shake my head a little as if saying "what do you want?"