CHAPTER 17

(Police station)

The day had been going just as usual for Officer Kim. He had investigated a boy named Andrew who had been a little bit close to Nick. He recalled everything as he digged into his donut.

“So you are in the same class as Nick and Amelia?” Officer Kim asked looking at the lean boy sitting before him, hands clutched. “Yes sir, I have known Nick for a long time. Amelia just transferred this year. They always stay together. Nick, Jake and Amelia” he said taking a deep breath. “Have you ever noticed anything that bothered them? Had anyone threatened them?” Officer Kim asked sitting back on his chair. “I don’t think so sir. They were troublemakers but I don’t think anyone threatened them.” Andrew shook his head as if the question was absurd. “Okay then. Did you attend the party? You know Amelia’s birthday party?” Officer Kim asked. “Yeah it was pretty good. They were both hanging around with another guy though. Nothing big happened at the party.”

“Sir” he came back to the present world with Mathew entering his office. “Yeah did you collect the information I had asked you to?” Officer Kim asked as he eyed the file clutched in Mathew’s hand. Mathew nodded handing him the file and started “There was nothing much about Amelia sir. She had transferred from Florida after her mother died of a car accident and had lived alone here. Her dad is a physician.” Officer Kim nodded him to continue not speaking a word. “And about Nick. His father handles textile business in Texas. He had been living here with his grandmother to complete his studies.” Mathew finished looking at his senior. “What do you think about it?” Officer Kim asked him with a serious note. “I think the culprit had actually targeted Nick, and Amelia just got in the way. It can be related with money as his father is quite rich.” Mathew said unsure as he glanced at his senior officer. “You think so? Alright you can go now. We will be heading to Texas soon. Call his secretary and fix an appoinment with him as soon as possible.” Officer Kim said signalling him to leave.

He sat looking at the celing, his mind drifting off to think of the possibility of Nick being the target. But it doesn’t make sense. Why should the culprit take so long to make a move to ask for money from his parents? Why did he choose Amelia’s home to kidnap him? And more importantly why was there Nick’s blood on the carpet? It seemed he was missing something crucial in this case.

___________________________

Jake’s pov

I climbed up the stairs leading to Amelia’s house after parking my car outside. I looked at the door, my hand raised, calming my heart down as I pushed the door open. Everything seemed to be normal except the blood stains that are now dried giving a deep red colour to the carpet and the developing cobwebs in each corner.

I turned around looking at the familiar furnitures when something caught my eye. My body turned automatically, hesistant to move forward towards the photo kept at a table in a corner. My feet started moving towards it even when my heart protested. Before I realised it, I held the picture in my hands and felt my heart crumble. It was the picture of me and Amelia, taken by Nick at the beach. I could see the shy expression she had, after I had given her the bracelet, captured in the picture.

My heart ached as I opened the cupboard to keep the picture in. I didn’t have the courage to see her happy face when I had failed to protect her. I kept the picture face down in the cupboard when I saw something else kept at the bottom. I lifted the contents and took out an envelope. It had nothing written in it, and was a little heavy for a simple letter. Maybe her father sent her some allowance? I trusted my instincts and opened the envelope. My breath hitched as I saw pictures of Amelia in it. Captured by someone other than us. It had a photo of her in every place we visited when we went to the beach. I started flipping through the photos when I reached the last one. It was the photo of me and her in the cave. No one was around us at that time. Not many even know that place. My eyes widened as I turned the photo to see a words written clearly ‘You are going to be punished for this cupcake’. My hands started shaking as realization took over me.

All these days she had been followed by a stalker and maybe... maybe that was why she had been tense the whole time. Then what had happened to Nick?

A/n Yes I’m still alive.... I’m so sorry for not updating for awhile but holy shit this reached 1k reads??? I really really really thank everyone who are reading this story!!! Love you guys so much!!!💜💜