Chapter 47

The rusty hinges gave a loud squeak as Amos lifted the trunk's lid. He picked up a candle and let the light fall into the dark box. Inside, a heap of odds and ends from his past brought a thousand memories to his mind. Carefully, he picked up the one object he had wished for all day. His eyes widened with eagerness. This was the only thing that could end his misery and solve his problems.

The rustle of his wife's skirt drew his attention away. "Amos, why are you still awake?" she asked quietly.

The man picked up a book, and shut the trunk as quietly as he could. "I'm sorry, did I wake you?" he asked. Martha shook her head. She couldn't have slept if she had wanted to. She was too worried about Peter.

Amos rose to his feet. "I almost forgot that I had this," he said, walking to Martha's side. "My parents gave it to me when I was a lad. I just never read it. I didn't think I had the time."

Martha cocked her head curiously and studied the book in his hand. "A Bible?" she exclaimed. Her eyes sparkled with hope and surprise. "Are we gonna read the Bible, Amos?"

Amos nodded his head and led her into the living room. There, they both sat down on the couch with the candle held close. The golden light danced on the open pages as Amos began to read in a whisper.

Martha listened carefully. It had been years since she had heard the Bible read. Now, she wondered why they had neglected it for so long. Some of the words were comforting, others made her tremble in shame. But everything in that book led them further and further away from the crooked path of sin they had been following.

"Now consider this, ye that forget God," Amos read, "lest I tear you in pieces, and there be none to deliver. Whoso offereth praise glorifieth me: and to him that ordereth his conversation aright will I shew the salvation of God."

He paused and stared out into the darkness of the room. Lest I tear you in pieces, and there be none to deliver, he repeated in his mind. Then, aloud, he said in a desperate whisper, "Oh, Martha, what've I done? I've ruined our family. I've driven our son to death's door all because of my own stupidity." He hung his head in grief. "How do I find my way out o' this?" he asked.

Martha slipped her hand into his. "I suppose we've gotta do what the Bible says," she suggested quietly. She traced the last part of the verse with her finger and read it again, "And to him that ordereth his conversation aright will I shew the salvation of God. We have to stop doin' what we want to do and start doin' what God wants us to do."

Amos nodded his head. "Aye. I'm tryin'," he answered. "But it's easier said than done." His yearning to drink was stronger than ever. It was so tempting to take the old bottle again and let all of his problems melt away into forgetfulness. But he knew that would only make his problems worse.

"Do you think we should pray, Amos?" Martha asked.

"D'ye think God would care to hear us? After all we've done wrong, I'm afraid to even try."

"But what could it hurt? If we don't try, we'll be shuttin' him out of our lives. And then what hope do we have?"

The two knelt down on the board floor and shut their eyes. They tried to recall all of the prayers they had spoken as children. Years ago, prayer had just been a poetic verse rehearsed before bedtime. But now, all poetry had fled from their minds. With broken hearts and humble spirits, the two began speaking to God. They begged him for forgiveness and promised to serve him for the rest of their lives. No matter what happened, they would surrender to his will, trusting that he knew what was best for them.

It was hard for Amos to imagine that God could forgive him after all of the sins he had committed. But as he searched the pages of his Bible, he was comforted by Christ's mercy and forgiveness.

"The Lord is merciful and gracious," he read, "Slow to anger, and plenteous in mercy. He will not always chide: neither will he keep his anger forever. He hath not dealt with us after our sins; nor rewarded us according to our iniquities. For as the heaven is high above the earth, so great is his mercy toward them that fear him..."

As the days passed, Amos and Martha leaned heavily on their new-found faith. They searched the scriptures for answers, and cried out to God through the night and day. There was nothing they could do but trust that the Lord would rescue them from their troubles.

Every day, they spent their time looking after their son. Mr. and Mrs. Elmwood had been very faithful about caring for Peter. But now, the boy's parents took full responsibility. They cared for him all day and all night, wishing and praying that, someday, they would see him improve. It broke their hearts to see their strong, fiery boy looking feeble and helpless.

The doctor did his very best to make Peter well, but no matter what he did, the boy's sickness only grew worse. Now, even Dr. Gardener's cheer and confidence began to fade. He tried to keep an encouraging attitude, but inside, he began to doubt whether he could rescue his patient.

Amos knelt down beside his son. It was past midnight, everyone else was sound asleep, but he had stayed up to care for Peter until morning. The boy didn't stir from his sleep as his father took his hand.

With a despairing sigh, Amos hung his head. Outwardly, he was silent and calm. But inside, his heart was bursting with fear and sorrow. His desperate pleas for help reached up to the only one who could save his son's life. He wished that he could have a second chance; a chance to undo every mistake, and offer his children peace and happiness. But there was no way to erase the past. What was done was done.

 What was done was done