Chapter 4

Emiline put on her best dress and pulled her hair back with her best blue ribbon. Then Mother, Emma, and her sisters set out in the buggy toward Susan's home.

A long stretch of golden fields lay between Emma and Susan's houses. Then, by the riverside, everything turned lush and green.

"It's gigantic!" Emiline exclaimed, looking at a big, white house. Just like a castle! she added in her mind.

"It is beautiful!" Mother agreed.

Bumping along down the rocky road, they oohed and awed over all of the beautiful flowers and the fancy dormer windows. When Mother knocked on the front door, a little woman in a crisp, white apron answered it. She was very polite, almost too polite. She didn't smile much, but she welcomed them into the main room and let them sit down while she fetched Mrs. Elwin. It was all new and exciting for Emiline. She rubbed her hands against the silky cushion on her chair and looked all around at the colorful paintings on the walls.

Mother wasn't quite as excited. She felt a little bit uneasy. She was used to country living where women opened their own front doors and invited you into the kitchen to chat while they fixed lunch. It felt very strange to sit in the big parlor waiting for an important, rich lady to come. She was also busy keeping little Lizzy and Lucy by her side.

"Don't touch anything, Elizabeth," she warned in a whisper. "These things are very fragile."

"Good afternoon, Ladies." Mrs. Elwin's voice echoed through the large room, snatching Emma's attention away from one of the paintings on the wall. For a moment, the girl gazed in stupid silence at the lady who was walking down the curved staircase. Mrs. Elwin was the most extravagant woman she had ever seen. Her hair was swept back in an elegant French twist, and she was wearing a graceful bustle dress. Behind her, Susan walked with the air of a princess in her own castle. She looked even prettier than usual today. It seemed as though every piece of "little girl" had vanished from her countenance. She looked like a respectable young lady, proud and beautiful.

Mother returned Mrs. Elwin's greeting and rose to shake her hand. Emiline did the same with an awkward smile.

"It is such a pleasure to meet you, Jane," Mrs. Elwin said pleasantly. "I've been so eager to make new friends here!" Her bright eyes settled on Emma's nervous face. "You must be Emiline," she said kindly.

A shy blush warmed Emma's cheeks. "Yes, ma'am," she answered politely.

"You've been on my mind for the last week or two. Susan has told me all about you."

Mrs. Elwin offered her guests a seat, and at once, she and Mother found many things to talk about. Mrs. Elwin spoke of her family's life before they had moved and what had made them search for a country home. All this talk about grownup things sounded very boring to Emiline and Susan. There were so many fun things to talk about and see. But for a few minutes, they sat in polite silence while their mothers chatted.

At last, Susan rose from her seat. "Would you excuse me and Emiline for a while?" she asked. Emma smiled cheerfully and got up too.

"Of course dearest," Mrs. Elwin agreed gracefully. Then, looking at Emma's mother, she added, "as long as that is agreeable with you, dear Jane."

Mother nodded her head. Things were so different at the wealthy lady's home. In any country house, children would have run off to play without a care in the world.