Chapter 27

"Better hang on tight to that money, Jack," Peter warned loudly.

"Why?" the boy asked curiously. Jack had been counting his money with his friend, wishing he had enough to buy some candy at The General Store.

"You know," Peter answered meanly. His eyes glanced toward Emiline. "There is a thief in our school."

Jack laughed, and Peter smiled mischievously. "I guess nothin's safe as long as she's around," Jack chuckled.

Emiline wanted to scream. Why couldn't the boys just leave her alone?

Susan had been listening too, but she was busy unwrapping her lunch. "Stop looking at them, Emma," she advised. "If they see that they're irritating you, they'll just keep it up."

Emiline pulled her eyes away from the boys. At the same time, Dorothy came out of the schoolhouse and sat down on the steps beside Emiline. "What are they talking about?" she asked.

"Oh, they're just trying to hurt Emiline's feelings," Susan explained.

"Peter's been telling people that I'm a thief," Emma grumbled. "He thinks I stole his watch."

Dotty gasped. "Why would he think that?" she asked.

Emma shrugged her shoulders. The boys were still joking and laughing cruelly. She couldn't stand to listen to them anymore. Susan wrapped an arm around her, and silently, they walked into the schoolhouse. Dorothy would have followed, but she was too shocked by the boys' meanness.

Peter and Jack had separated themselves from everyone that day. They were sitting on the wood stack by the side of the building.

Dorothy fidgeted with the buttons on her dress. She hadn't realized how cruel Peter had been to Emma until then. She couldn't understand why he would be so heartless. Finally, she got up and walked timidly toward the wood stack. She trembled in fear as she saw the boys look at her. For a moment, she couldn't speak.

Peter eyed her curiously. "Hello," he said.

His voice didn't sound as frightening as the girl had expected it to. She gathered all of the courage she had. "I heard you talking," she said hesitantly. "Why are you saying those things about Emiline?"

"Because they're true," Peter answered bluntly.

The girl looked sad and shook her head. "No they aren't," she said.

Jack snickered meanly. "How would you know?" he huffed. "You're so stupid you can't even write your own name!" Dorothy cowered in fear and looked down sadly. The boy chortled again.

Suddenly, Peter gave him a warning frown. "That's enough," he commanded, jabbing Jack in the ribs with his elbow.

"Oh, come on, Peter!" the boy chuckled. "It's just a joke! Everyone knows how stupid Dotty is!"

"I said that's enough! Now go away!" Peter said moodily. He shoved his friend off of the wood stack with strength that the boy couldn't resist.

"Fine!" Jack exclaimed, rolling his eyes. "But you know it's true!" He ran away before Peter could say another word and joined the other boys.

For a moment, an awkward silence fell around Peter and Dorothy. At last, the boy looked her in the eye. "I know that Emma stole my watch," he explained confidently, "'Cause she's the only one who wanted it bad enough to take it. Then she felt guilty about it and gave it back. It's as simple as that."

Dorothy was so frightened. She wished that she had never said a word. But now, she had to continue. "But, I..." She hesitated, still shaking. "I found your watch. I put it on your desk when no one was looking."