Chapter 16

"It isn't fair," Susan muttered under her breath, staring out of her window in a sulky way. "I don't see what she's so worried about. It isn't as if we can't afford the dress. We have plenty of money." She looked down at the magazine in her hands and admired the garment she had set her heart on. "Look at it, Emma," she sighed. "Isn't it beautiful?"

Emiline looked down at the advertisement. Drawn in black ink was the picture of a flimsy ball gown. It was the most extravagant thing the girls had ever seen, and yet, something about it bothered Emma. It was very pretty, but it wasn't very decent; and Emiline knew that good girls always dressed decently.

"It's... very nice," she said hesitantly. "Why doesn't your mother want you to have it?"

"Oh, she says I'm too young for it," Susan grumbled, closing her magazine. "But I don't see why girls our age should have to look ugly. I want to be beautiful!"

Emma thought for a moment. She had to admit that even she would have liked to wear a dress like that. But she still couldn't get over how flimsy it was. She was sure that Susan's mother was right. If people saw her in a dress like that, they would think she was a naughty girl. It certainly didn't seem like the kind of dress a Christian should wear.

It was Saturday morning, and once again, the girls sat in Susan's decorative parlor enjoying their teatime.

"Of course," Susan began with a chuckle, "I don't have to be stopped by Mother's decision."

"What do you mean?" Emma asked curiously.

"I'll just ask Father to buy the dress for me. He never tells me 'no'. Yes! That's what I'll do," she decided with a smile. "Mother will never know until it's too late."

Emiline turned her face to the window, trying to hide a look of shock. She would never have expected such a disrespectful scheme to come from Susan.

"But, even if your father does buy it for you, won't your mother tell you not to wear the dress?" she asked, regaining her composure.

Susan shrugged her shoulders carelessly. "If she does, what does it matter?" she asked.

"Well..." Emiline began in concern.

"It isn't as though Mother checks every outfit I wear to make sure she likes it," Susan interrupted. "If I wear it once in a while, or even every day, how will she know?"

Emiline thought for a moment. She hadn't always liked the clothes Mother made for her. But she never would have snuck behind Mother's back and worn something that her parents thought was naughty.

"In any case, I've been dying for a new dress," Susan went on, "even if I can't have that one. I absolutely hate my old clothes now."

"But Susan, your dresses are so beautiful!" Emiline reasoned. "How could you hate them?"

"Well, they were alright for a while," Susan answered. "But, they're so old-fashioned now. Styles are changing, and I want to change with them! Besides, I can't stand to wear the same dresses over and over again. It makes me feel so cheap."

Emma forced a smile. Then she kept silent as Susan thumbed through the magazine again, pointing to the dresses she planned on getting. Susan was more than confident that her mother would agree with these dresses. They looked more respectable, with high, lacy collars and puffed sleeves.

For a while, Emiline paid close attention. But as Susan went on and on, she couldn't help drifting into thought. Her friend's words still echoed in her mind. "I can't stand to wear the same dresses over and over again," she had said. "It makes me feel so cheap." Emma was the one who felt cheap. She only had a few dresses, and all of them were homemade. It was hard for her to understand how Susan could be so dissatisfied with her gorgeous gowns. For months now, Emma had coveted every single one of them. She had imagined herself wearing them. And she had a secret dream that, someday, Susan would take pity on her and give her one of those elegant garments. But now, Susan thought they were wretched and ugly.

"If you get new dresses, what will you do with the old ones?" Emiline asked after a while.

"I don't know," Susan answered. "Olive can burn them for all I care. I can't stand to wear them another day."

Emiline looked around at Susan's beautiful bedroom. It was amazing to think that the girl could have so many nice things and yet be dissatisfied with them. Emma had thought that being rich would promise people permanent happiness and contentment. But it didn't. Susan wasn't happy that day. She was frustrated with everything she owned.

If I had all of those beautiful dresses, Emma thought. I could never get tired of wearing them. I would always love them and be proud to wear them. But would she really have been satisfied with those dresses forever? Or would she have ended up like Susan, always wishing for something new?

For a moment, Emiline's mind wandered back to Mrs. Winston and her old shack in the woods. Of all the people Emma knew, Mrs. Winston was the happiest and the most content. But she didn't have all of the new and beautiful things that Susan had. Even the dresses Mrs. Winston had sewn for herself were simple and practical. She was pleased with her old house and her old-fashioned clothes. What made the difference? It was a question that would burn in Emiline's heart until she found the answer.

Author's Note: Well, I totally missed posting this chapter yesterday, haha! It kept slipping my mind because I was deep in the planning mode for my next novel (or what I hope will be my next novel, Lord willing). It's terrible to be so excited about a project and to keep hitting writer's block on it. But I am trying to take it slowly and prayerfully. Hopefully I am making some progress! Anyhow, here is chapter 16 of A Hero at Heart, and I really hope you enjoyed reading it! If you did, please consider giving the chapter a vote, and I look forward to hearing your comments!  I'll see you all next Friday or Saturday! Have a splendid weekend, everyone!

 Hopefully I am making some progress! Anyhow, here is chapter 16 of A Hero at Heart, and I really hope you enjoyed reading it! If you did, please consider giving the chapter a vote, and I look forward to hearing your comments!  I'll see you all ne...

(A Hero at Heart is the first of three books in its series. They can be found on Amazon.com in both paperback and kindle editions.)