41. The Act Of Forgiving Isn't As Simple As It Looks

Start from the beginning

Only his furrowed eyebrows betrayed his suspicion. Understandable, given not many strangers must be venturing so far inside Setforth Woods. Furthermore, he must be aware of Lost Island's recent goings-on, like a majority of people if he tuned in regularly to the radio.

However, his benevolence suggested that he was inclined to grant us shelter, in spite of the risks taken by hiding some of the Party's highly wanted enemies, portrayed as dangerous criminals. I was grateful for his mercifulness, but worried about endangering his life.

Even though his loyal Vox watched over its master's verdant sanctuary like a vigilante, he may not be safe from the Party's scrutiny. Protective, the old four legs interposed itself between him and us, growling. Several years, how many years, of living deep inside the countryside's vegetation, trained Vox to be cautious, in order to guarantee its master's safety at all costs.

Seeming on the verge of writing the last decades of his life, Senku had survived somehow the test of time, like a millenary-old tree, wearing the marks of a long and exhausting life. Like crumpled sketch paper, ageing carved arduous paths into his cheekbones, in addition to expression lines, which depicted of him a man who may have turned grey too rapidly due to a series of insurmountable hardships.

His otherwise boyish traits softened his angular face, framed by whitish-grey locks of hair tied in a braid, lit up by his caring smile and striking blue pupils under a pair of undisciplined eyebrows. Caught in my contemplation by his wondering gaze, unguarded, I realised I had an unsettling sensation of déjà-vu, which had me forgetting my manners.

The moment I thought to myself that we had never met before, however, my embarrassment grew thicker, mumbling an apology as I reddened of shame for losing my countenance in front of our unlikely caretaker.

"Let's not miss with introductions," he ensued. "I'm Senku. And you, what are your names? What's the reason of your coming to Setforth Woods?"

"Nice... Nice to meet you," I stuttered. "Thank you for your hospitality... it's much appreciated. My name's Cassidy. They're Liam and Skye.

"Rest assured, we'll leave by tomorrow morning. We're currently on the run from the Party's ravens, for being staunch activists against the Party's leadership, and..."

As soon as he heard those words, Senku stepped backwards, grasping the door's handle. His expression turned to indifference, just like other people's faces, whom we asked for help in our desperate escape from the Black Police. After all, we had been fooled by the wishful desire to find a listening ear to our distress.

"We're staunch opponents to Pipelin Pantonium's regime. But we overestimated our chances to take over our elders' battle," Liam explained. "Due to a series of circumstances... we have nobody to turn to anymore for help."

Studying the three of us from head to toe, disconcerted, Senku seemed in every way reluctant to let us inside. It was a given, even in our dire situation, we were still no more than a bunch of outcasts on the run. Not to mention, we were pitiably dressed in torn clothes unwashed for several days, exhausted and dishevelled.

Furthermore, our empty stomachs craved for water and edible food. In his eyes, without measuring the extent of our commitment, we must look like runaways stranded across the other side of Heavensgate, begging for his help, although he didn't intend to get involved with the Party's affairs, even less so to hide some of the Party's sworn enemies.

"Even for a day, we won't be a bother, I swear," I whispered, looking down and away. "By tomorrow, we'll find another place to hide by ourselves."

"To venture inside Setforth Woods, without knowing the dangers of the countryside, you must be really desperate," Senku responded. "Whatever it takes from me, I can't feed you to the depths of Setforth Woods past midnight, however, or else I'd never forgive myself for abandoning your side."