41. The Act Of Forgiving Isn't As Simple As It Looks

From every nook and cranny of Lost Island, the threat of denunciation loomed over us, nowhere safe, as long as an increasing bounty was put on our three heads. Everlasting escapees, we were the Party's and shameless reward seekers' targets altogether.

Without the Hummingbirds' protection, our lives were constantly endangered, to the extent it became impossible to find anywhere to rest. Without support, despaired, we delved in the untainted verdant depths of the countryside, where Mother Nature reclaimed its lands over three decades of stubborn urbanism.

Afar from the battlefield, this discarded part of District 7 was now covered in rampant vegetation and bushes. Here and there, yet unseen tree patterns sprouted out the ground through cracks and crevasses. As its name suggested, called Setforth Woods, not many looters or adventurous Islanders had set foot in this area shrouded in mystery, likely fearing the unknown.

That's true, a few stories revolved around Setforth Woods, most of which depicted of Setforth Woods a door to the dangers of the left-behind countryside prone to the Idyllic Sea's tantrums, tucked in the volcano's flank that surrounded Heavensgate, expanding towards the sea, forming newly born lands. There, Mother Nature thrived in all its glory.

Deeper, we dipped in the green shade of Setforth Woods' trees when suddenly, down a hiking trail, we stumbled upon an unusual habitation, mounted on massive wooden poles, accessible by a chain of stairs safeguarded by a black and white dog.

Alert, despite ungainly, it startled awake, warned by the sound of leaves crackling. Even without a collar, it had the appearance of a domesticated wolfdog. Wary of us, intruders, it barked aggressively, very protective of its territory, thus indicating we trespassed inadvertently on its master's property.

"Before the night comes, we shall leave immediately and find somewhere else to hide for tonight, before it gets too dark to keep advancing," Skye suggested.

"Our only alternative is to ask for hospitality," I disagreed.

"Are you crazy?" Skye shouted. "We can't entrust our survival to a complete stranger who's probably not expecting late visitors! What's more, this dog is gonna attack us, if we don't decamp!"

"We won't know, unless we try," I sighed, reaching out for a bronze bell hanging from a tree's branch. "That's our only chance to..."

In before I rang it, the door creaked open, and an elderly man of venerable age appeared before us, dressed in an outlandish kimono-style overcoat.

"Fear not, as long as you don't scare him, Vox isn't going to attack you. He's belligerent because we aren't used to have visitors," he greeted us.

"Sorry for the intrusion! We shall leave right away, if you'll excuse our intrusiveness..." I gasped.

"You were looking for a place where to set camp for tonight, weren't you? Please come in. After nightfall, I can't afford to let you wander around Setforth Woods untrained for surviving in the wild."

"You're being too kind, we're used to handle ourselves," I objected weakly.

"I see that you've travelled a long way, exhausted. You're hungry too, right? Stay at my place for tonight. You'll be safe, until you've rested from your journey."

"Uh, thanks, but..." I argued, as I had not told him yet anything about us.

"Please come in, while the trees' crown is getting dark."

***

At first glance, Senku seemed like a nice guy, with harmless intentions.