40. Reunion Under A Cloud

To watch the Hummingbirds' backs while most of them went to the front was more humiliating than being their odd jobbers. We stood on the side-lines until further notice, only providing logistics support to the troops.

I stared beastly at the pile of boxes left to be inventoried,

"Fuck it! It's pissing me off!"

"C'mon, cool down Cassie, please!" Liam exclaimed.

"Spare me a lecture!" I cringed.

"Take it that Eagle agreed to let us stay, even though they can't hire any more fighters," Skye remarked on.

"So, we've got to earn their trust," Liam nodded.

"Guys..." I sighed.

Enraged, I could picture Gwendoline staring down at us and thinking, "Serves you right!".

In contrast, Eagle always managed a cool-headed approach, being a conciliating leader loved by his fellow activists. He held as many secrets as stitched scars. He often worked from his personal office, bound in wheelchair, represented in public affairs and strategy meetings by his sister, which seemingly infuriated Gwendoline.

"Logistics may not always follow the troops' advance, although they're an important part of warfare," Liam pointed out.

"Are you trying to cheer me up?" I hissed.

"Deal with it, guess it's part of training," Liam consoled me.

"Training, what for?" I growled.

"Upon closer inspection, I noticed that the Hummingbirds' headquarters swarm of activity night and day, like a fully functioning army," Liam pointed out to me. "Each and every person has a designated mission to fulfil, down to the supply chain, up to the fighting troops. Their flawless organisation compels admiration."

"Because unity wasn't maintained, we became disorganised."

"Anthony?" I yowled.

"Yo!" the concerned greeted.

"Don't give me, 'Yo!' like nothing happened!" I snarled.

"Best fiends, huh?" Anthony asked. "Isn't it time to bury the hatchet? "

"It's ages too late to reconcile!" I snapped.

Irritated by his familiarity, I played tough, although I sighed with relief by knowing him alive, safe and sound. A part of me denied acknowledging his carelessness. My heart jumped when he bowed to me,

"I'm sorry if I ever doubted you Cassidy!" he professed.

"Raise your head, it's embarrassing!" I mumbled.

"You only listened to your tender heart, but you never forsook your leader role, after your release, even though you witnessed the unspeakable. It made me realise I wasn't cut out for the role."

"If I was a trustworthy leader, I wouldn't have abandoned ship," I retorted.

"It's okay to break down when it feels like your world's falling apart."

"You could have apologised to me sooner, you know!" I yelled, cutting off the conversation by getting back to work in order to let Anthony know that all his begging and swearing wouldn't mend SLACK's broken unity.

***

At lunchtime, I confided to Liam about my conflicted feelings towards Anthony,

"Anthony wasn't cut out to uphold the position of leader!" I cussed. "What an idiot!"

"For his defence, SLACK may have suffered from more intestine wars birthed from our schismatic initiative," Liam objected. "Besides, there had to be scope back then for reviewing the group's hierarchy."