27| Little John Proctor, Eh?

"NEWBIE!" Skylar yelled, her voice slightly muffled due to the fact that she was out in the kitchen and I was in our room with the door shut, working on finishing up an essay

"Another cringe-worthy love letter was slipped under the door!" she finished, barging into the room and waving the same plain white envelope with googly eyes and a smile in front of my face.

She sat down on my bed, snatching the note away before I could take it from her. She started opening the letter and I turned in my desk chair to look at her.

"Let's see what the great Theo the Third has to say to get you to swoon today!" she exclaimed.

I reached out to try and grab the note, but Skylar pulled away as she took the note out of the envelope. I could see Theo's perfect handwriting pooling onto the notecard in heavy black ink.

"Skylar," I said, "give it to me."

Skylar cleared her throat and stood up, pacing around the room as she read the note out loud:

"Dearest Juliet, Leander's words for his secret love affair with Hero: There is another light, far surer for me than those, and when it leads me through the dark my love leaves not its course..." Skylar said, then rolled her eyes. "They weren't able to resist each other. Sound familiar? Yours truly, Theodore, son of Montgomery."

Skylar pretended to gag as I stood up and took the note out of her hands, sitting down on my bed and smiling at the note, running my thumb along the letters he'd written.

Nearly 2 weeks after we first kissed and into late September, almost October, Theo really had kept his word. He would drop off letters, slipping them under the crack of the apartment door for me to read. Or he would slip one into my hands as we passed or left class. Something that had become ritual as, after our one shared class as well as with Matteo, Theo would hand me a note. Not every single time, but it was quite often. Each one had a different quote, a different history taken from star-crossed love stories or letters written between lovers who had a hard time being together.

He was cheesy, as had become evident. But I don't know what it was about it that made me smile each time I caught another letter, reading the familiar font, taking in the words of history meshed with words of his own.

"You are so weird for liking these notes," Skylar said, judging me as she laid back on her own bed.

"And you are so mean for making fun of me for it," I retorted, still smiling at the note in my hands.

I set the note down and walked over to my desk to turn my computer off. I grabbed a jacket from my closet and slipped it on, pulling my hair up into a bun afterward.

"I'm heading out," I said.

"To meet up in secret with your star-crossed lover?" Skylar teased sarcastically.