Chapter Thirty-Five

Niall's POV

"I think I’m going to ask her to marry me," I remember hearing Harry's deep, raspy voice echo through the bus. That's when I stopped listening and put the pillow over my head, desperate to make me unhear the words.

I knew I shouldn't have been eavesdropping. They didn't know I was awake, and didn't think I would hear their whole conversation. But I did, as much as I wished that I hadn't. I cursed myself inwardly for listening in to their conversation, as I was always told not to when I was little. Now I understand why.

That was a week ago. Since then, we've performed a few times, visiting fans and such. It's nice to see them again, but they continue to scare me. The hate on social networks is growing substantially for all of us, although it's mostly Grace, Harry and Louis. It's crazy how the fans can know so much, even when we don't tell them anything... except for that one damn twitcam.

"Fans" aren't really fans anymore, I reckon. Some are still very supportive, sure, and they don't go unnoticed. But I think Harry expained it perfectly in the documentary we had, when he got hate for his Red or Black performance. You don't question if someone is a fan, because they like you. But if they are posting hateful things about you, then you start to wonder what drove them to.

I've been talking to Grace lately. Believe it or not, she called me first. Harry didn't exactly seem the happiest about it, but he couldn't call Grace or I out on it without sounding paranoid and jealous. In truth, it made me ecstatic that Grace would think of me, even though she's with Harry. It gives me hope that maybe, just maybe, she'll choose me instead.

Of course, it's terrible of me to think that. How could I? Harry is my best mate, and I don't want to hurt him. But I loved his girlfriend, who at least cared about me to some point. And I loved her first. I loved her before he did. He only loves her because of the baby. Without that baby, he wouldn't be--

"Niall, you alright?" I heard a voice that shook me out of my thoughts. A pair of chocolate eyes met my blue eyes, and a soft smile crept on his face.

I nodded, rubbing my temples with the heels of my hands. "Fine."

Liam's face scrunched up, and I knew he wouldn't believe me. "You don't seem fine, mate. Your face got all red and you looked like you were going to pass out." His eyebrows were knit in concern, but I couldn't find myself to thank him for caring. I was upset, and I needed another beer.

"Get me a Bud Lite, would you?" I asked, looking away. He hesitated, looking at the three empty beer bottles on the table across from me. I shot my eyebrows up, daring him to challenge me, and he didn't. Instead, he got up from the couch we were sitting on in the tour bus, walking to get me a beer from the mini fridge. When he returned, I took a long swig of it  before replying. "How is it fair, Li, that when I loved her first, that he gets her?"

Liam sighed and shrugged. "He does love her...." he said in a small voice. It made me extremely angry that he was defending Harry, Whose side was he on?

"Goddamn, Liam, I loved her first! I should be able to have her, and the baby should be mine," I argued.

"Niall, you're drunk," Liam warned, looking nervously to the door to the bus. It was just us two in here for now, but Harry could walk in at any moment. Not that I cared. He should hear my feelings too.

"I don't give a shit," I frowned, drinking more of my beer. 

"Niall, why are you like this? Why are you drinking yourself into oblivion? Every day this week, you've had at least four or five beers. It's unhealthy, and I'm worried."

I thought back to a week ago, Harry's words about a possible marriage proposal still ringing in my head. "Stop trying to preach to me. I do what I want," I growled angrily, getting up from the couch. "I thought you were my friend," I called out, looking behind me to Liam before walking off the bus with my half-finished beer. 

Maybe it was the alcohol, but I would've sworn I saw wet spots on his cheeks.

[[A/N: Okay, so, um, what?!?! 48k reads and 90+ fans?! I love you guys! As always, let me know what you think c: ]]