Induction

The first time Mikel opened his eyes, for a moment he thought he was back in the real world, with technology and junk food. His illusion was broken when he saw a candle flickering by his bed. He also noticed he was cold. Well, that might have been because he was in nothing but a kilt.

“Ooh,” a cheery voice invaded his thoughts. “You're awake. I'm glad!”

Mikel nearly screamed. Instead, he backed up against the headboard as a woman stepped into view, smiling widely at him. She reminded him of Praise, smiling like that.

“Who are you? Are you the one that knocked me out?” he asked, instinct making him reach out for his staff.

The woman waved her hand and a sudden gust of wind made his staff clatter to the ground.

“I'm not going to attack you,” she said and sat on the edge of the bed. “To answer your question, no. I was not the one who attacked you. That would be Astra, our resident Spartan.”

“Spartan?” he echoed. “One of the five in the legionnaire faction?”

The woman nodded. “I'm Thelma, resident healer of the August Church of Erynla.”

“I'm Mikel Ark, apprentice Druid,” Mikel replied, for want of something to say.

“So Astra tells me,” Thelma beamed at him, crow's feet crinkling at the edge of her eyes . “I took the liberty of undressing you in case you were wounded.”

That would explain why he was in the ancient equivalent for underwear.

“You're a satisfactory size by the way,” Thelma winked as she got up. “Just in case you've ever doubted yourself.”

She patted his leg with a perverted smile and pointed to a corner. “Your clothes are over there. If you hurry, you'll make it to the Induction Ceremony.”

Waving a letter at him, she added, “I also took the liberty of procuring a letter of recognition for you since I was told you had lost yours.”

She placed it at the edge of his bed, with a smile that promised many things. “Of course, I will be collecting my debt in the near future.”

“Thank you.” Mikel took the enveloped letter, resigning himself to fate. It made sense that while a real woman had never even looked at him twice, a programmed one would be all over him.

Joy.

The Induction Ceremony was a large affair, and Mikel was able to mix in with the crowd few minutes after he arrived at the auditorium that was being used for the orientation

Soon, a small woman climbed the stage, followed by two men, one whose body sported several keloidal scars. The other was a rather young man, his curled hair left to fly in different directions. As she approached the centre of the stage, the noise of the new apprentices went down, quietened by her presence alone.