17

Note: I wrote this book a while ago and published the chapters for fun.  I have definitely grown as a writer and the inconsistencies in the novel are hopefully going to go away :)

I feel a stinging pain in my leg.  I look down to see where I had been shot in my leg forming a small stream of blood.  Ok I can be mad at Caden, he shot me.  Or one of his men did.  I crouch down to examine the injury and feel hands supporting me. 

"You mother-" I begin to say

"Hey hey hey, its just me" Leo says as I'm greeted with his billion watt smile.

"Oh I thought you were..."

"Caden, yeah I know.  Not everyone loves him" He lifts me up and helps me limp " You really should not be fighting with that injury" He says 

"Yeah I know, I just got distracted and forgot about it for a bit, I really wanted to prove my worth"

"I understand" He says and gives a sympathetic look, "Lets get you some wrap and painkillers, and probably some crutches.  You really messed up your wound"

We continue to the infirmary, and when you have an injured leg, it seems miles away.  Leo grabs some bandages and wipes and begins to clean my wound and I just sit helpless on a chair.  My mind drifts to the cause of all my current problems.  Caden.  Freaking.  King.  One moment I am attracted to him and the next I want to rip his face off.  

A phone rings, its Leo's.  He picks it up and answers.

"Yeah...yes...I don't think that's smart...yeah she's got an injured leg...no...ok...bye"

"Who was that?" I question

"Cole, he is seeing if your up for something tonight but obviously not" he retorts

I shrug.  I don't want to be cooped up here until I get better. Leo notices my solemn expression and says

"You know almost everyone is going to be out tonight at a gala, you could explore the mansion a bit.  The rooms you shouldn't be in are going to be locked anyway.  This excites me a bit.  After putting a brace on I test my standing.

"Not too shabby, you might not need crutches after all" Leo says with pride as he gives me his hand and I stand up.  We continue to my room and he bids me farewell.

I close the door and lean on it.  This day has felt so long.  I quickly strip and head into the shower, careful not to get my bandages too wet.  After putting on a fresh set of clothes I listen for noises, it seems everyone has left for the gala.  I step out slowly, look both ways, no one.  I then close my door and head into the foyer.  I peer out the window.  All the cars are gone, only a few motorcycles remain.  I release a sigh of relief.   Might as well learn my way around this place. 

I find my way into the kitchen and hear my stomach growl.  I open the fridge and find some pasta sauce.  I then look into the pantry and find some pasta noodles.  As I look for a pan, I hear someone say.

"You're doing it wrong" I jump.  It's Caden.  He's in a black t-shirt and jeans.  Making him look like some prince of darkness.

"I haven't even started yet and you're already critiquing me.  Plus why aren't you at the gala thing" I snap back

"They aren't really my scene, too much scum" he answers

"Scum like you I bet" 

"Scum like your husband" the words hit me hard.  A reminder that I had been forced to say "I do" to a monster of a man.  A reminder that my father never really loved me.  My head falls down and I turn away from him to find some spices.  

I turn around to find him putting away the pasta sauce and pasta noodles.  He takes out flour and eggs.  

"What are you doing" I question

"I'm doing it right" he says

Oh.  I am so stupid.  He's Italian, of course he knows how to make good pasta.   He measures some pasta and then puts it on the counter.  He then forms a well in the pasta and adds the egg.  All I can do is stare at him.  His hands so precise, god knows what other things he could do.  I look away, my cheeks flushed.  

After a ball of dough had formed he wrapped it up and placed it into the fridge.  I took a seat on a nearby chair and watched him.  I watched him take out a massive pot and fill it with chopped tomatoes, onions and garlic.  I got so hypnotized I don't really remember the details of what he was doing.  When he removed the ball of dough from the fridge I got curious.

"Caden" I said.  He just gave me a small glance "Where did you learn to cook?"

He let the question sit there then said

"My mother" 

"Is she a good cook?"

"Was"  

oh.