𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐝 𝐝𝐨𝐨𝐫

Fear is no stranger to me. Not anymore. This is all becoming more real and real that I'm questioning my sanity and whether this happens in my head or in reality. Is this how people go insane? They lose the ability to distinguish reality and imagination.

There is nothing but darkness again - except for a silvery path that unfolds before me, winding treacherously across space like a serpent. It glimmers like a river under the imaginary moonbeam.

The fourth door is at the end of the path. I can see the sharp outlines of it against the dark background.

I follow it. I know that whatever is going to test me here, will be along the path. I walk for ten total seconds without interruption which sets my alarm bells ringing. The state of balancing on the edge of false security and the fall that would break my bones - my mind is screaming at me.

Suddenly, I notice a hand next to me and my heart skips a beat.

A pair of demanding hands grab my ankle. I yelp in astonishment and lose my balance, tripping over and collapsing onto the ground. I try to stay in the path with every ounce of my weakening strength when their grip around my legs tightens and starts dragging me from the path.

Helplessly, I glance over my shoulder and regret it then and there. Freezingly cold water has swallowed my whole waist, I'm clinging to the path with two hands only - I spot some of the black, scary creatures swarming under me like fish when being fed. The creatures stare at me with their malicious light bulb eyes as they try to pull me underwater with them.

I don't want to know what they have in store for me. This is supposed to be a simulation but I was never told what happens if I fail. I guess I have to hope the god mode is on.

One of them sinks its claws into my upper body and uses me to rise from the black sea. I groan painfully when thick needles pierce my skin in different body parts. The monster places its claws right under my ribs, I stop breathing both out of agony and fear and refuse to look at the thing that has now reached my upper back.

I can feel its slimy, wet tongue exploring my neck and moving down to the wound in my right shoulder, licking off the blood. I flinch and let out a gasp. The low, satisfied growl right next to my ear drowns out even the drumming of my terrified heart. Maybe it's testing if I'm tasty enough to be their next meal.

Disgusting. I'm at pains to distance myself from the measly creature of my mind but each of my desperate attempts seems to bring them closer and closer.

What a stroke of luck I happen to be an excellent swimmer. My mother used to whisk me away for swimming lessons ever since I learned to write and read. It feels as natural as breathing for me. All I have to do is to harness my skill to the best of my ability.

I take the last mouthful of air before my head contacts with the liquid. Coldness hits me immediately but the familiar feel of water wraps me in a shroud of novel serenity and determination. Water is my element.