𝐏𝐫𝐨𝐥𝐨𝐠𝐮𝐞

"I'll ask you a few questions, Mr. Kudaibergen. We must be sure that you are suitable for this experiment." On the other side of the table is sitting a fairly strict-looking, short woman probably in her 40s. She is holding some papers in her pale hands, thin eyebrows arch down as her steel-gray eyes behind rectangular glasses examine them.

I remain silent. The woman puts the papers aside and crosses her fingers on the table. She is looking at me in an uncomfortable way which makes me want to squirm in my seat.

"I want you to know that this simulation is not for everyone. You must truly be aware of where you are involving yourself in. Once you have signed these documents, there's no returning back," the woman explains with a dry, monotonic tone. She looks totally lifeless; she has probably repeated this a hundred times before.

I blink slowly, showing that every word of hers sinks in. "I know."

The woman sighs and leans over the table. Her gaze is intense, eyes narrow as she asks suspiciously: "Are you strong enough to bear that much of fear?"

"Yes."

"Are you ready to face the worst nightmares of human beings all alone?"

"Yes."

"Do you think you'll be able to complete the simulation in seven minutes?"

"...Yes."

She notices the short pause preceding my response. I make no motion to suggest I am feeling uncertain at this point. "There's only one attempt for each person. If you fail it, it's all over. Understand?"

"I do."

"Keep in mind that no one has passed the 7th door..."

"Do you know what's behind that door?"

She shakes her head, jaded. "None of us do. Those who have made it there refuse to talk about it. Many people have gone insane because of this simulation."

"Why can't you make them talk? That information would help others."

She snorts at my suggestion. "This is a game, Mr. Kudaibergen, where only the strongest and bravest ones survive. The simulation experience depends on the individual's greatest fears. What appears dreadful to you, may not be the same to someone else. And remember... seven minutes in the simulator feels longer than in real life. Time always twists in virtual reality."

"I understand."

"Now, since you have seemed to accept all the risks this includes, I have the final question for you..." The woman's serene voice fades away as she takes a deep breath. Something flashes beneath her hardening expression but I can't identify the feeling. "Are you ready?"

I am ready. More than ready to risk my own life in pursuit of my own wellbeing and happiness. We poor people weren't given many options to choose from. Some accept their fate and misery, but I don't. Only by taking a chance I am able to change my awful life. Maybe I am deemed a foolish jerk that is only delaying the inevitable.

Simulators are used by rich people for entertainment. They are the kind of luxury no common people could ever afford. The content varies from breath-taking fantasy and sci-fi worlds to blood-curdling horror games and sex stuff, there is literally anything one could imagine. The best players even have their own championships.

But this simulation was built for some scientific research purposes that nobody knows anything about.

No matter what, I have to win. I have to pass this simulation and earn some money to feed my family. Just by picturing my mother's achingly gaunt body, pasty white skin and stark lines on her face my fighting spirit is stirred up even more.

That's why it is easy for me to say the words and seal my fate for good.

"Yes, I am."

//So I decided to write another book dedicated to Dimash (YOU CAN READ THE BOOK EVEN IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHO HE IS - it's irrelevant to the story). Since I feel very comfortable with horror stories, it was high time to start a new one. The story is simple but quite disturbing and the focus is on the ending that will hopefully make you rethink your very existence.//