𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐞𝐜𝐨𝐧𝐝 𝐝𝐨𝐨𝐫

At first, I can't make of the situation I'm in. Blinking feverishly, recovering from the panic attack that starts to fade as I adjust to my new surroundings. I have to bring to mind how to breathe properly. Dread has sucked in all the oxygen around me.

Everything else belongs far in the past except for the stinging pain in my shoulder. Without exaggerating, I could say I'm being eaten alive by the white-hot flames of agony, warm blood painting my whole arm red but I have no time to worry about it. This simulation is all about fast reflexes and sheer intrepidity and the pain is just here to distract me.

I am in a place that looks like a mirror maze because I see myself copied a thousand times. In contrast with the previous nothingness, this place is tangible, colourful even. Endless blue tree-like columns arch before me, white bars and crystal-clear mirrors stand between them and form a zigzag pattern.

 Endless blue tree-like columns arch before me, white bars and crystal-clear mirrors stand between them and form a zigzag pattern

A thousand pair of eyes are staring at me with fear. Fright sits well on me like it has become a second nature. My dear comrade that forces me to push harder and teaches me not to underestimate the simulation. It can dig deep into your unconscious mind, fish for your worst phobias you never knew exist and make them laugh at your face.

But it can also help me to win this simulation.

I never considered myself a coward - pretty much the opposite - but this sick game makes me rethink that statement. It somehow has the upper hand on me. It's no use denying it.

I try to shake off the nagging feeling that has taken over my whole body. I wipe off every sign of freshly growing apprehension and replace it with a rock-hard, stony mask that half-accidentally slipped from its place. I need to pull myself together. I am the only one who can do this. No, I will do this.

There must be something terrifying behind the final door. Some kind of secret.

I hasten to take a step forward and I am greeted with a lonely cheerless sound that echoes throughout the desolate labyrinth. I have fifty-five seconds left...

My heavy huffs break the silence of under zero decibels. My loud heartbeats sound like a timebomb ticking. All I wait for is an explosion.

Have I always felt this - the feeling that something is just wrong - spread across my skin like purple bruises? I am so tensed up as if waiting for somebody to pounce on me from the shadows. Maybe they will if I give them a chance.

My reflections stare at me as I walk past them. I use them as an advantage to decide on my next course. Their gazes rest on my skin like corrosive substance, breaking through my guard and etching their own marks on me. They can see into my soul and read me like an open book. For some reason that makes me feel uneasy.

I would do anything to be able to break that glass and make a run for it. I'm just too afraid to even touch it. What if I made the wrong move and the door would disappear permanently? Is it even possible?