forty-nine [t]

friday,
july 19th, 2020

TRINITY HAYSON

"How was your week off with lover boy?"

My eyes swivel from the paperwork on my desk to Hale's teasing stare. I roll my eyes and elicit a short chuckle.

"It was good..." I reply, biting my lip and trying to hide a bashful grin as I scribble little markings in the margin of a co-worker's editorial.

"Good?" Hale scoffs, leaning back in the chair opposite my desk and taking a bite of her BLT, "Please," she adds with a mouthful of sandwich.

I giggle at her, pausing my work to mindlessly stir my tea, "It was... perfect," I sigh, reminiscing every day of my stay with Shawn at once, little flickers of memories flying through my mind.

Hale pauses, "Did you fuck?"

"Hale!" I shriek, grabbing a balled up piece of paper from my desk and tossing it at her.

She bellows out a laugh, "Okay! 'M'just asking. I mean, you can't tell me you spent a week with a sex God and didn't actually have sex with him."

I narrow my eyes at the smug looking girl and exhale, "Fine. We had sex. Happy?"

"That's more like it," she smirks, finishing her lunch and tossing her rubbish in the bin by my desk. "Hey, is it alright if I finish an hour early today? My cousin is visiting from LA and she said she'd pick me up."

"Sure," I instantly reply, focusing back on my editing.

"You know you're the best boss ever, right?" Hale flashes me a cheesy grin and I scoff, shaking my head at her childishness that I actually really love.

I'm about to reply with something sarcastic when there's a knock on my closed office door. Hale jumps up from her seat, clapping her hands together excitedly.

"That must be her! I told her where I was," she explains and I chuckle, watching as she heads for the door and opens it up.

"Hale!"

Hale embraces her cousin and her blonde relative rests her chin on her shoulder, a wide smile and crinkled eyes worn on her... very familiar face.

Her eyes land on me and I flush, feeling like such a fool for staring. That is, until I realise that she's staring too, with wide eyes and a slacked jaw.

"Trinity?!"

I stand up abruptly, dropping my pen, "Charlie?!" I nearly squeal

"Oh my god!" She rushes over to wrap her arms around me and I automatically reciprocate, catching Hale's puzzled expression from my peripheral vision. "What the fuck! How are you here? Holy shit!"

Charlie and I stayed in touch all throughout my paid internship in 2019. My plan was to move back to LA afterwards and finish university, I never intended on staying here, but when I got offered a full time job at People, I couldn't decline. I flew back to Los Angeles and took care of everything college related. I dropped out, I never graduated. I only have one full year under my belt, but I didn't care at the time because this was an insane opportunity for me.

I met up with Charlie whilst I was there — of course I did, and she was over the moon for me. We promised to stay in touch, but I guess as her college work intensified and my job became far more time consuming, we slowly lost touch. There were never bitter feelings towards one another, that much I knew, but we just simply didn't fit into each other's lives any more. It was upsetting, sure, but at the time it was the natural thing to happen.