twenty-five [t]

friday,
may 31st, 2020

TRINITY HAYSON

As Shawn and I stand there, completely engrossed in one another's embrace, there's a knock on the door. I pull my head from Shawn's chest with a puzzled look, only to suddenly remember that I ordered pizza not too long ago.

"I'll get it," Shawn says, pulling money from his back pocket and opening the door before I can object.

I sigh, listening to him thank the delivery man as I grab a cheap bottle of wine from the holder. I round the couch and throw myself against it, settling into the pillows as Shawn joins me, resting the pizza box on his lap. He looks at me, a glint of sorrow gleaming in his chestnut eyes.

"Wine?" he mumbles, a smile playing on his lips as he nods towards the bottle in my right hand.

I nod, popping it with ease, "Yup."

Shawn giggles, inevitably warming my heart before his eyebrows tug inwards, "You're not mad at me, are you?"

I frown, sitting up straight after taking a hefty sip of the red wine. I exhale deeply, shaking my head. The bottle of wine sits securely between my thighs as I grab Shawn's much larger hand in both of mine. He offers me a small smile and I sheepishly grin up at him.

"Of course I'm not mad at you, Shawn," I whisper truthfully, pursing my lips as I choose my words carefully, "It's an awkward situation, but not just for me. Jade is probably freaking the fuck out too, and I know that you are doing the same deep down. It's not your fault, it's not Jade's fault. I mean... assuming you used a condom..."

Shawn's eyes widen slightly, "We used a condom, Trin. Apparently they're not 100% effective."

I raise an eyebrow before bursting into a fit of giggles. His eyebrows furrow, a questioning grin pulling at his lips.

"You didn't know that?" I snicker.

It's not even funny. Something about the somewhat relationship-threatening situation we're in is awkwardly amusing. The lingering feeling of awkwardness and anticipation is eating away at me, and I can tell he feels the same. We need to relax and distract each other. We need to make light of this whole situation and enjoy our night together like we said we would.

Anything but overthinking this unexpected scenario. We'll deal with the paternity test when it comes. We'll deal with everything when the time is right. Hopefully, we'll deal with it all together.

Shawn flushes deep red, eyes fluttering from mine and drifting down to the warm pizza box on his thighs, "What? Yes, I knew that. Of course I knew that. You just... I dunno, you forget that sometimes."

My giggles increase in volume, earning a playful, smiley glare from the curled beauty beside me, "I think you forgot to use a condom when you and I had sex plenty of times in the past."

Shawn rolls his eyes jokingly, "Right. The one time I actually use a condom instead of relying on my impressive pull out skills, there's a chance that I've gotten a girl pregnant."

I hum a chuckle, reaching to pop the lid of the cardboard pizza box and grabbing myself a slice.

Memories of our unprotected sex flash through my mind. It was so immature and irresponsible, but damn, it felt incredible.

I bite off a huge chunk of margherita and revel in the familiar taste of mozzarella. I swallow before washing it down with a few gulps of wine. I hand the bottle to Shawn and he clutches it, tipping his head back as he drinks some of the wine that actually tastes alright. Not great, but fine. And that's enough for us tonight.