I CAN ALWAYS RELY ON YOU

Handsome Trevor up there......

*******************

We decided to have lunch out since it was almost 3 by the time we were out of the meeting.

"So tell me Mia, where would you like me to take you for our first lunch out together.?" Trevor asked, breaking the silence in the car.

"We can eat anywhere since its not a date. And we've had lunch together more times than I could count." I joked, grinning.

"Still you could ask. As my secretary and friend, I would take you anywhere you would like." He smiled wide.

His cute bright smile almost made my heart stop. Uugghhh, I was talking sappy in my head again.

"As a friend, hun. So, how about we stop at that chinese diner and get some takeout to eat at the office." I suggested.

"That would be an excellent idea." And with that, we were on our way to the diner.

Sometimes, when we were together without work pressure forcing us, it almost felt as we were friends. I've been working with him since a year and we knew each other even before. It was kind of easy between us.

When I joined, people actually thought we were dating, since our relationship was not totally professional. We had our bantering and teasing and his occasional flirting.

"So, the venue is done and event manager done. What next.?" I asked him while eating orange chicken together in my office.

"Thursday, you and me are going cake tasting to finalise the flavor and design for the big birthday cake. You dont need to come to office Friday however." He informed.

"Oh, how sweet of you. You're giving me a day off." I fake gasped.

"No, its not a day off. We have stuff to put together for Saturday." He said, breaking my heart.

"All these preparations, am I even invited to the party.?" I joked.

"Well, ofcourse you are invited. I have already sent in invitations to your parents and Jason. They will be there too." He informed me.

"Well, I had no idea since no one told me when I was there last weekend." I said sullenly.

"You went to New York last weekend.?" He asked.

"Well I always fly New York once in couple of months." I replied.

"Oh, I see."

That day, I left office around an hour early. As soon as I was about to get in my car, I saw someone familiar. Way too familiar. I mean how could he be here.

He cannot.

But just to be sure, I got out of the car and started following him. I followed him through the street upto the mall. I did not get to see his face again so I could be sure. Moreover, I lost him once inside the mall.

I decided that it was my eyes playing tricks on me. So I stopped looking for him.

It was 6 by the time I was home. Liv was nowhere to be seen. The apartment was eerily quite without her. Stuck to the refrigerator door was a note.

"Staying over at Alex's. Don't miss me much. Love you.
-Liv"

In this generation of iPhones, we still left notes stuck on refrigerator door. I took off the note throwing it in the bin. It was times like these that I really wished to have a boyfriend so I won't have to live alone when Liv was gone.

But this was a reason not enough for me to think about a relationship. No. I had a late lunch with Trevor, so I was not really hungry right now. So, I decided to freshen up and read a book.

After 15 minutes, I was changed in my comfy clothes and was reading 'The Infernal Devices'.

Yeah, yeah. I know. This series is for teens, but I love Cassandra Clare.

I had barely read a couple of pages, when my phone started ringing. It was a Facetime from Jason.

"Hey Jase." I answered the call.

"Hey. How is my little sister doing.?" He asked.

"C'mon Jase, I'm not your little sister. I'm 23." I pouted.

"Still, you are 2 years younger to me." Jase was grinning now.

Whenever Jase called, it always was 70% teasing and 30% actual talking.

"Hey, btw your boyfriend sent me a party invitation." He said.

"Okay now two things in this context. One, he is not my boyfriend, he is my boss and a friend. Two, I know since I'm helping him put together the party." I replied.

"I should probably call Trevor and warn him about you." He was teasing again.

"Oh, and why would you do that.?" I asked him.

"Don't you tell me you don't remember Great Aunt Johannah's 85th birthday party."

"Let that go now Jase. It was 10 years ago. I was 13. And it was not my idea, it was Jaime's idea." I gave the same exact reply that I have been giving every time Jason teases me about it.

"And you won't believe...." I was about to say when I was cut off by Jason's girlfriend, Maureen.

"Hey Mia, how are you." I saw her coming towards Jase and placing a kiss on his cheeks.

"I'm good. How are you." I asked back.

"Same here. Has Jase been harassing you again."

"Hey, I'm not harassing her. She is my little sister. I was just teasing her." Now he was the one pouting.

And with that, Jase was thrown out of the frame and it was just me and Maureen chatting about everything. From Jase to what was latest in fashion.

It was close to 9 now and I was hungry now. This was the part that I did not like much. Cooking. I was not a bad cook, I just didn't like cooking.

So I just decided to heat up some leftover lasagna from fridge and a nice glass of Pinot.

Next day was very normal. Trevor didn't bother me much as he was busy himself. Just a meeting that we had to attend.

It was almost 5.30 when he called me to his office.

"Yes boss.?"

"Mia. I just wanted to check if you were still in the office or not. And also I needed to remind you that we need to go cake tasting tomorrow." He reminded me.

"Okay. I was still in my office as it is not yet my off time. And yes I do remember we are going cake tasting tomorrow." I smiled at him.

"Good. I know I can always rely on you. Though I know you are not my permanent secretary, but you were there when I first started as CFO. You are more of my friend though." He said.

"Aawww, you are too sweet. But it helped we knew each other way before that. And don't you worry. My father's HR team still doesn't trust me to give me the post. So you are stuck with me for now." I told him, smiling sweetly.

"Well anyway, it's almost time. You should go now." He said.

"Oh yes, I should. Good bye Trevor." I said. He just waved at me and pushed his glasses up his nose.

That night Liv was again staying over at Alex's apartment. So I was alone in my apartment again. I just made myself dinner and put on some Netflix and called it a night.

                      ***************

And there was the third chapter. Do share your feedback guys.

And I hope that with Covid-19 going on, all of you are keeping safe.

Vote, comment and share.
Goodday to all.