THROWBACK #4

Throwback ( 5 years ago )
Ashton's Pov

The bruises on my face and hands had started fading, but my leg was still not totally healed. My doctor told me it would take at least a couple more weeks to properly heal. But I was still grateful that Mia was no longer in a coma.

Never in this lifetime, would I be able to forget the day I woke up in the hospital a day after our accident and Jason, Mia's brother, told me that Mia had slipped in a coma. Those nine days of waiting and predicting were the worst.

I have never known a fear greater than the one of losing her. Of never being able to see her pretty face for the rest of my life. I could not imagine my life without her. Until the day she woke up, all I did was pray for her to wake up. Although I was not religious at all.

Tomorrow again I would be visiting Mia in the hospital. If I could, I would've stayed by her side all the time. But I still wasn't fully functional. I needed someone to drive me around.

That was another thing that would haunt me for the rest of my life.

Ben was nowhere in sight. Whenever my mom was not hovering over me, Ben did. He was our oldest househelp  and was with us since I was a toddler.

So, I decided to get my ass up and go grab some snack by myself. I had to walk past my dad's study to get to the kitchen.

''Your son, not mine.''

I heard my dad shout in his study. Most probably harassing someone on the phone.

''But he is yours too.''

But it was my mom who spoke up. She was there in the study with him.

''He is not my son. He never was. And you had the audacity to hide this from me. Until I found out about it three years ago.''

What the fuck was he talking about? And about whom? I have never heard my dad shout at my mom. He was always a different person around her. But today, he was not.

''Ashton is not my son, not my blood. I have been bearing him in my house for so long. But now its high time. This cannot go on for a moment longer. I want him out of here as soon as possible.''

''It is true he is not your blood. But he is still your son. You used to love him so much. A test report cannot change your love and feelings towards him.''

''The love and feelings that you are talking about was built on a foundation of lies and deceit. The lie that you have been telling me since the day he was born and would have kept feeding me if I hadn't found out the truth myself.''

His voice was hoarse with all the shouting and screeching. I was not able of believe whatever I was hearing. This couldn't have been true. How am I not his son. As far as I can remember, I have been calling him my dad.

''It was just that one night. It was a one-time mistake that I committed. I have never once been unfaithful to you after that one night. I still cannot forgive myself for what I did that day.''

''I should have killed him off the day that I found out he was not my son three years ago. It would have been a lot easier. Both him and you.''

This man was so disgusted with the fact that I was not his son, that he was ready to kill me and my mother for it. It felt as if someone was ripping away the floor beneath my foot.

''How could you say that? How could you even think about that? He is just a kid. It's not his fault that I conceived him out of our marriage.''

''Oh darling. Not just thinking and saying. I already did try to kill him. But that bastard got away with just broken bones.''

What?

''What are you saying? What do you mean you tried to kill him?''

''Yes sweetheart. I was the one who tried to kill him. And would have succeeded too. That accident was not some random thing. It was planned by me. I hired the truck and told it's driver to hit his car. Everything was planned. What I had not anticipated was that he might not be the one driving the car.''

The medicines that the doctors had prescribed me must have been fucking with my brain because what I was hearing could not be true. My own father, who was not actually my biological father, had tried to kill me that day.

''No. No, no, no. That cannot be true. How can you be so cruel and stone-hearted that you would try to kill your son. He might not be your biological son, but you were the one who held him when he first came out of my womb. You were the one who caught him when he fell the first time he learnt walking. Do none of those moments matter to you now?''

''Yes, those moments meant a lot to me. But they stopped mattering the day I found out he was a bastard child.''

''Because of you and your antics, another child is suffering in the hospitable. She could have died because of you. Atleast that should have mattered. ''

''Oh she could die for all I care. She was just a casualty in a larger picture. I couldn't give two shits about her.''

This was what snapped my patience. I just wanted to barge in the study and beat his face into a bloody pulp. It would have been so mangled, no one would ever recognize him again.

As soon as I was about to turn to go into his study, I felt a hand on my shoulder. I turned around so fast that a vase that was on the table beside me fell down and broke with a loud noise. It was Ben standing behind me.

''Why are you up from your bed? If you needed something, I could have gotten it for you.''

His tone was very protective. As if he was trying to protect me from the truth that I just bore a witness to.

As if on cue, my mother also stepped out from the study. My father was nowhere to be seen. I looked at her face and it did not betray a single hint of emotion she was feeling. Instead, she had a bright smile plastered on her face.

''What are you doing here sweetheart? Did you need something?''

How could she do that? How could she hide away all the emotions that she was feeling? Did she not have a heart? Did she think that I hadn't heard anything?

I had completely lost my sense of speech. I did not know what to respond or how to respond. I just shook my head and started back towards my room. My brain and body had started to go numb.

Ben was beside me in an instant, lending support so I could walk without collapsing.

My father started acting all aloof towards me three years ago. Because he found out the medical reports claiming that I was not his son. That was still bearable. But the fact that he loathed me so much that he tried to kill me. And ended up hurting my girlfriend, and then claiming that she was just a casualty.

I understood that he loathed me because I was not his son. But I could not grasp the fact that he tried to kill me. I was so repulsive to him that he just decided to wipe me off the face of earth. And Mia was just caught in the crossfire.

I felt as if someone had stabbed a knife through my chest and was twisting it. I did not know when I reached my room and collapsed on my bed. Everything apart from my heart was numb. It was the only thing that was hurting.

This update was long overdue

This update was long overdue. But yeah, here it is. A throwback chapter in Ashton's POV.

Keep voting, commenting and sharing this book.

Have a good day.
Xoxo.