Chapter Twenty Three-Forgiveness And Resentment

Thomas lay back on his bunk bed, headphones plugged in his ears. He scrolls through his songs and grumbles under his breath as he can't find a decent song to listen to.

Teresa walks in, pulling her hair out of it's tight bun as she does so.

"A day off feels amazing." She sighs in content.

She climbs up the bunkbed and Thomas sits up, scooting over to make room for her.

"I wouldn't quite call it amazing, Teresa. We have to put our trust in Rachel and Aris to take over Group A for the day whilst Ava overlooks Group B." Thomas shakes his head. 

"C'mon Tom, it's not that bad. We can trust Rachel, and Aris." Teresa nudges him a little.

Thomas glares at her. "You can trust Aris, I can't. Remember that party..."

"Thomas, he was drunk. So was I. You know that kiss meant nothing and if you are about to bring it up again I'm going to walk out of this room." Teresa warns.

"Fine, fine. He's still an idiot, nor do I trust him." Thomas pushes.

Teresa smacks the back of Thomas's head. "Shut up! Now talk about something interesting. I'm dying of boredom over here."

"At least it's not The Flare." Thomas shrugs.

So today is the day I carry out my plan, the one where I try to get Newt to understand me, the one where I get my best friend back.

I glance around The Glade nervously, waiting to see the blonde haired boy. Issy has recently arrived, meaning that Kelly comes tomorrow. With her, came a big box. 

I only opened it when I got to the room, but there it was. The guitar.

So now I wait, nervously for the alarm to sound. I rub my hands together, glancing at the box. What if they don't do it after all?

My head is so full of thoughts I don't hear the foosteps behind me.

"You alright?" Claudie asks.

"Yeah." I nod.

"What are you waiting for?" He raises an eyebrow. 

"You'll see." I say, a small smile playing on my lips.

"I worry about what you're going to do next. You must be crazy." He shakes his head.

"Not quite crazy. Not far off, though." I smirk.

Then the alarm comes. Startled, The Gladers drop their things and begin to crowd around the box.

I wheel myself forwards.

"Can everybody calm down! I requested this, so shut your holes. I just wanted to say that I've made some of you really upset, I don't really know why, and I want to say sorry for it. Anyway, I wrote a song...I want you guys to hear it." I stare Newt in the eye.

He doesnt' break eye contact, and his eyebrows scrunch up as I begin to pluck a few strings. I know how to do this. I don't know where I learned or who I learned with but I can tell I was pretty good.

Instead of singing on of my two original songs, I stayed up all last night brainstorming ideas for the song. In the end, I wrote a completely different one.

"Trapped in this place,

Surrounded by the maze,

Waiting for a new day.

Maybe we'll all be just a bit better,

Just a bit happier."

I pause, plucking a few more strings before breaking into the next verse. All of The Glades are silent, some looking in awe, the others just staring due to my unknown talent.