Chapter Sixteen-The Effect

A/N:

If you don't get The Zoner slang here's all the words you'll need to know:

The Rooms-The Homestead

The Transformation-The Changing

The Searchers-The Runners

Searching-Running 

The Chefs-The Cooks (people like Frypan)

The Eternal Sleepers-The Deadheads

The Searchers Shack-The Map Room

Leaders-Keepers

"Didn't you hear me you dumb shank? Get up!" I hear a voice yell.

I bolt awake, looking around for Newt or Minho. Instead, I am greeted  by Kelly with a bemused look on her face.

"Rise n' shine, Zoe. You're Searching with Sophie today apparently." She grumbles.

"Tell her I'll be down in ten minutes." I nod.

She mutters something under her breath but leaves and does as she is told. I take a deep breath as I open my drawers.

I need to put Newt out of my head. I'm never going to see him again, right?  I need to stop thinking about Alby struggling to get The Runners up, I need to stop thinking about how vunerable Zack is without my protection. I need to stop wondering is Gally is okay, due to The Ch-I mean The Transformation. There I go again, using Glader Terms, why can't I just get them out of my head?

I pull of Newts bracelet, putting it away and leave the material on only for the sole purpose that it keeps my lyrics out of sight. I pull my hair up in a normal bobble and change into one of my own tank tops and a pair of my shorts.

I yank on my combat boots and quietly exit The Rooms. The Searchers always get up an hour before everyone else, so that we can eat, get some of our supplies together and leave as soon as the doors open.

It's a little better this way.

I tip toe over the sleeping bodies, careful not to step on any fingers or toes. The people who are up the earliest though, are The Chefs. The people who make our food. They are always up at the early hours of the morning and after breakfast they nap a little until they have to prepare quick lunches for the hard workers to pick up. Then they'll nap again a little more until they have to prepare dinner. Then they'll leave and sit with the rest of us and watch the sun go down.

Then the next day, they'll do it all over again.

It's the same with Searching. We get our breakfast, get our supplies, run, have water breaks and lunch break and then come back. If we live then we do it all over again the next day.

I don't even enter the room, I am automatically bombarded by Kelly, Veronica and Sophie. Veronica shoves a tray of porridge into my hands and we make our way to our special spot.

The Leaders have to get up early too, that's why Kelly is up. When I am not in The Zone she is running it instead, she always does a good job of keeping everyone in line. I need to tell her about Zack soon, but I can't. It'll break her heart.

It's not like the one back at The Glade though, but nothing will ever be like The Glade. There's no Newt, no Minho, no Alby, no Gally, No Zack...Stop brain! Stop thinking about them!

I shove spoonfuls of porridge into my mouth, lost in my thoughts of random things. 

"Zoe. ZOE. ZOE!" I hear a voice yell.