Chapter Thirty Eight-Future

A/N: I just want to say that the sequence of some of the story has been edited a little bit so Teresa turned up before the whole Ben incident and before Thomas went into The Maze

I briefly awake early in the morning to Newt shaking me awake.

"Zoe..." He whispers. "Wake up, we've got to go show The Greenie The Grievers." 

I let out a groan, falling onto the floor as I roll out of bed. "Why'd it have to be us? Is that where you went earlier? Why couldn't Alby do it?" 

"Enough with the questions, get your bloody clothes on and lets go find him." He shakes his head.

He rummages through my drawers, throwing a pair of denim shorts at me and a pale blue long sleeved shirt. 

"My head..." I rub my forehead, letting out yet another moan. "It hurts way too much."

"That's probably one of the only downsides to Gally's secret recipe. The feeling of having your head banged up the bloody wall in the mornin'. "Newt chuckles.

I sloppily change, muttering things about Alby as I do so. Why couldn't he have shown the shuck Greenie about The Grievers? Besides, nobody ever goes to the window anyway unless they want a shucking heart attack.

It only takes around five minutes to find The Greenie's bed. He is lying in his hammock, eyes tightly squeezed shut and his mouth hanging open a little, a tiny bit of dribble running down his chin.

"How attractive." I wrinkle my nose.

Newt wakes him instead of me, I lean against the post of his bed, shaking it as Newt attempts to wake him up.

The Greenie goes to bolt upright but Newt's hand is pressed firmly over his mouth.

"Shh, Greenie. Don't wanna be waking Chuckie now, do we?" Newt smirked.

I haven't even noticed that Chuck was lying in the hammock next to Thomas, looking genuinely like a sleeping angel. 

He finally nods.

"Come on, Greenie. We're supposed to show you somethin' before the wake up." Newt whispers as he stands up, taking a few steps back for The Greenie to clamber out of bed.

"Okay." 'Thomas' replies, yet it sounds more like a question. "Where are we going?"

Again with the curiosity, he really is something else. 

"Nowhere good. It might be nice if you shut your hole and avoided stepping on fingers." I chuckle, leading the way out as Thomas trips over at least seven bodies, earning a few grunts and pinches.

Newt begins to run-over taking me, which really must have hurt his limp a little and I begin to follow. Thomas hesitates and I turn around, shooting him a glare.

"Is it obvious or not? Run, Greenie." I roll my eyes.

As we push further into The Deaheads, we slow to a walk. Rubbing the sleep out of my eyes, I stretch a little, yawning once again. 

The place is swarmed with Beetle Blades and Thomas stares at them, eyes unblinking. "What are those?"

His voice is almost shaky, fear obvious on his handsome face. Newt lets out a sigh and I run a hand over my face.

"When you need to bloody know, you'll know." Newt states, clearly frustrated with The Greenie.

We tug a little on the ivy covering the large window and Thomas dares to speak up again.

"Well, it's kind of stupid to send me to a place where nothing makes sense and not answer my questions, shank." He folds his arms across his chest.