How It All Started

My things are already pack and I am just waiting Mr. Portman to fetch me.

"Mr. Portman is here Chanel." my mom open the door and helped me take my things. You heard her right? I'm Chanel Lancaster, 17, and I live in Amsterdam, but I'm afraid I'm not anymore.

My mom decided to send me to my grandmother in Canada. I hated the idea but she left me with no choice.

My life is fine here in Amsterdam. I can read books in the country's library until 12 midnight. Going home late is not an issue as mom was always busy on her business. We used to have a happy family until my father died. Well let's not talk about him. Cause I think this story is all about me.

I live peacefully here. No one even bothers if you slipped on the floor, everyone has their own business. I have a lot of friends but they are not humans, they are novels. I never exist in the world they called humanity, I was born to be alone. I know few people thought like Mrs. Houton, the city librarian. Whenever I bumped to people, I always gave them that smile saying leave me alone, I'm fine.

I don't hate people, it's not fault if I like to isolated. Whenever I'm with people, I always smell trouble that's why I always hide and I never looked up.

And I'm afraid, that might change if I would go to Canada. But do I even have a choice?

"You take good care of yourself okay? Be a good girl to your grandma." she gave me one last hug.

"I will" I fake a smile and went to the passenger's seat. After 30 minutes of driving, I am now waiting for my flight.

5,4,3,2,1 Goodbye Amsterdam. It took hours of traveling and now, I was here. I saw Grandma waving, calling my attention and I walk to her direction.

"Hello dear, welcome to your home." she hugged me tightly like she always did before when we visit here.

"It is not my home grandma." I told her honestly.

"You'll love it here Chanel. Let's go? I think you need to rest. You might have a jet lag." she helped me get my things and went straight to her house. It's huge but I still don't like it here.

"Let me show you your room." we went upstairs. She opened the door, revealing a vintage room, I like dark though so fine for me. I also have book shelf as my mom informed her how I love reading novels.

"Do you like it?" she asked me wearing that convincing smile.

"It's pretty fine." I like it anyway but I don't appreciate things, I don't appreciate people. They often known me as an emotionless and heartless girl.

"Come on Chanel. This place is beautiful than-"

"Amsterdam. I told you it's fine. I don't need to appreciate every little thing here grandma. You know I don't like to talk too much." I cut her off. I'm just that type of girl who kept silent and you asked me, you can get two kinds of response. I nod or a smile. Sometimes, I don't even bother to answer anymore, I don't like to talk with a none sense people.

"I think you really need rest. Just tell me if you need something." she went out from my room. Honestly, can you give me ticket going back to Amsterdam? I want to say. But of course they wouldn't do that.

On the next day, Grandma sent me to the McGill University. After going to the principal's office, I went to my first class and according to my schedule, I'm going to Geometry.  They were having their discussion when I got there. I introduced myself to the teacher who is supposed to be Mrs. Peige.

"Okay class, we have a new student here. Ms. Lancaster please introduce yourself." she started.

"Do I even need to do that?" I complain.

"Of course" she give me a smile.

"Hi, I'm Chanel Lancaster, 17, I came from Amsterdam." I fake a smile. I this this one. All eyes are on me.

"So how's the Red Light District?" a girl asked me and everyone laughed. It that a joke? Well funny. I just ignored them.

"Ms. Chanel, you can now take your sit beside Mr. James in that corner." I just nodded and went to my sit.

"Hi, My name is James Anderson and you are?" is he deaf.

"Didn't you hear me? I told my name already." I whisper looking away from him.

"I heard that. Is that how you treat your new friend dude?" he said sarcastically.

"Not my fault you're a deaf. And excuse me, I'm not your friend so don't call me dude." I said irritably.

"Easy, I think you need to buy a chilling pills dude." he said emphasizing the word 'dude'.

"I told you not to call-"

"Mr. Anderson and Ms. Lancaster, is there something wrong?" this is what I'm talking about. Trouble.

"Nothing Ma'am. I'm just having a little conversation with Ms. Lancaster." he said. I wanna kill him right now.

"Well, do it after the class." and just like that.

"I will Ma'am." after that I never dare to talk or even look at him.

After the class, I hurriedly went out from the room when that guy again showed up.

"Hey I just wanna ask you abou the Red Light District."

"Can you please stop talking to me." I sound pissed.

"Do you want to have some coffee." he offered me a smile

"I don't need coffee or something, just stay away from me. Can you?" with that he is speechless and I was walking away from him.

I don't need a friend. I don't need trouble. I don't want you to get hurt. So please stay away from James Anderson.