rock n' roll, baby!

songs: Dr. Feelgood by Mötley Crüe
Unskinny Bop by Poison

*

Ah, finals. The most stressful time of the year for high schoolers, no time is wasted unless it's studying. No more fooling around, this is the most important test of the year!

Luckily, El didn't have to take this- or really any tests last year. She didn't attend her freshman year of highschool, instead Joyce, Will, Jonathan, and Mike helped teach her everything she needed to know for her first ever year in school.

El wanted to pass this test to prove to herself that she was just as good as everyone else in her grade, even though she missed out on half of her childhood she was not less academically inclined than the rest of them. It was a lot easier now that she was back in Hawkins with her Dad, friends and boyfriend. She liked it better that way, as everyone else did too.

But now Mike, El, Dustin, and Lucas were all studying in Mike's basement for finals. Max was in California for the week to visit her dad and Will couldn't attend today's study session because Joyce needed him back at home. But the rest of the party was perfectly fine without them attending, sometimes it was better to just have the four of them.

The core four.

They all held different qualities that helped one another study. They would ask each other questions while they were reading over notes and filling out their study guides, or even test each other over the material. Which is what they were doing right now.

Mike and El were sitting on the couch, El's head on his shoulder as his arm was around her waist. They were reading over their notes for English, El occasionally asked questions mainly just because she loved when Mike explained things, but the rest of the time it was out of genuine curiosity.

Dustin and Lucas were laying on the floor filling out their study guides. The room was quiet except for the sound of scribbling pencils, flipping pages and tired sighs. Suddenly Dustin groaned and let his head fall on his papers dramatically, grabbing everyone's attention.

"I hate this," He grumbled, saying exactly what everyone was thinking. "Can we just take like, a 10 minute break? My brain is going to explode!"

"No because 10 minutes turns into 20, 20 turns into 30, and 30 turns into an hour. At that rate we will get nothing done." Lucas mumbled, his eyes lifting to look at Dustin.

"Nothing done?!" He exclaimed. "We've been doing this for hours!"

"Only another hour left," El said quietly, making Dustin groan again. "Another hour filled with torture! I don't want to do this anymore- that's it, I'm dropping out. Who's with me?"

Mike rolled his eyes, "Dustin, nobody wants to do this. But I don't want to fail, and you don't either so let's just get it over with."

"Okay here me out, 10 minute break? Please," Dustin begged, "Come on, you two, look at me in the eye and tell me you're just itching to eat each others lips off! We need a break!"

The couple flushed with embarrassment, but then an idea came to El's head. "Oh I know what will distract us for a bit!" She said, jumping off the couch and walking over to Mike's radio. She grabbed a random tape and showed it off to the group. "Music!"

"You're just going to put on those mushy love songs you and Mike love to make out to." Lucas snickered.

"Hey! It's good music!" She defended with a laugh.

"Yeah, but you know what is also good music?" Dustin asked, standing up and walking over to his bag. El watched him curiously as he dug around in his bag before he finally pulled his walkman out. He popped it open and snatched the tape out of it.