the promise

song: the promise,, when in rome

*

mike arrived at the small cabin in under 10 minutes after el called. normally he would only see her once a day because that was all hopper "could take". but this cool fall afternoon hopper wasn't there to tell them otherwise so el decided to call her boyfriend over. and of course mike arrived shortly.

he threw his bike on the side of the house and quickly ran up to the front door. before he could knock el opened the door and ran into his arms. mike smiled as he wrapped his arms around her and pulled her closer to him. they stayed like the for a while until el pulled away from him and stood on her tiptoes to reach his lips. whenever mike came over for a second time- well anytime mike came over they always greeted each other like that.

"let's go inside, it's cold out here." el said, she grabbed his hand and pulled him inside the warm house. el dragged him all the way to her room and then proceeded to pull him onto her bed. as soon as he fell back on her bed she cuddled up next to him instantly. "you act like you haven't seen me in ages," mike chuckled, "i has been ages! like.. 5 hours!"

"i wish your dad would let me stay longer." he sighed, "yeah me too, that's why going to your house is better because karen let's me stay as long as i want."

"until hopper comes and rips you away from me!" he exclaimed as he pulled her even closer to him making her squeal. they became silent for a while, simply enjoying their extra time together. "hey i have an idea." mike announced, "does it involve moving from this spot?" she groaned, "yes sadly, but i think you'll like it!"

"okay fine." she mumbled, mike tried escaping from her right hold but she pulled him back, "i changed my mind i want you to stay here," she pouted, "el come on! you've probably been laying in bed since i left this morning!"

"maybe i have, maybe i haven't. but it doesn't matter-hey! come back here!"

mike had somehow untangled himself from her grasp and was now running out of her room. "come get me!" he teased, el groaned and slowly forced herself out of her bed. she got up and walked after him, she found mike in the kitchen looking through hopper's old vinyls. "why are you looking at those?" she asked coming up next to him, "this is the best way to listen to music! does hopper have..." he trailed off as he flipped through the multiple records, "aha! here!" before el could look at the song mike pulled it out of the small sleeve it was stored in and placed it on the record player.

the music started slow with a few keys of a piano and then the music began to play. el furrowed her eyes, not being familiar with the song.

"if you need a friend, don't look to a stranger

you know in the end, i'll always be there"

mike started singing softly, els confused look quickly turned into a small smile.

"but when your in doubt, and when your in danger

take a look all around and i'll be there"

mike grabbed her hands and pulled her close to him as he started dancing. "like the snowball?" el asked curiously, "yeah, why not?" he smiled, el grinned widely at him and wrapped her arms around his neck. mike had definitely grown since the december snowball, so el decided to try something new.

el stepped onto his feet and followed his foot movements. "what are you doing?" he laughed, "i'm dancing, obviously."

"no, like on my feet?"

"i've seen people in movies do it, and i can't reach your lips from all the way down there." mike blushed and picked up on the next verse of the song.

"i'm sorry, but i'm just thinking of the right words to say
i know they don't sound as i planned them to be
but if you wait around a while i'll make you fall for me.
i promise, i promise you i will."

el pressed her head against his chest as they swayed together while the music played. she listened to the steady beat of his of his heart, how it increased every few seconds. mike continued singing, which was the best thing el has ever heard before. better than corey hart, madonna, cyndi lauper and out of all of those singers, she thought mike was the best.

when mike began singing the next verse, el joined in.

"i know they don't sound as i planned them to be
but if you wait around a while, i'll make you fall for me.

i promise, i promise you i will"

when the two finished the verse their lips somehow found each other. mike's one hand came up to her cheek as the other stayed on her waist, els remained around his neck as their lips pressed together.

"you've got to be kidding me," an annoyed voice scoffed, the pair automatically knew who the voice belonged to and broke apart. el rested her head on mike's chest as she let out a small laugh, the small laugh ended up with both of them practically gasping for air. hopper still stood in the doorway, confused as ever.

"what's so funny?"

authors note:

lol didn't know how to end that so yeah

so that was pretty cute. sorry for the lack of updates on this but oh wELL. i kinda stoke the idea of mike singing to el from someone.. *cough* wickedwheeler *cough* go check her out bc if you don't i will cry.

plug: go read my short story, jessie's girl and my other new book dysphoric!

hope you enjoyed!!

-nedy 🥴🥴