home sweet home

this is all over the place so i apologize in advance

*
of course mike and el had talked about this day before. when they were 15, they discussed moving in together right around graduation. they had even told their friends and family, of course no one believed them. they just thought they were being unrealistic.

but they weren't.

towards the end of their senior year they had actually found an apartment in hawkins. it allowed pets and it was the perfect size for the couple. they had even been saving their money, each having their own savings. their plan was to combine the saved money and then buy the apartment with it and all extra money went to paying rent and furniture.

they both had jobs, el working as a secretary for a hospital and mike working as the manager of a small insurance company. both jobs paid a decent amount of money, making saving easy for the two. when they found an apartment they still had one problem.

they had consult hopper about it though, which was not going to be easy.

mike was coming over to the cabin today to talk to the retired police officer. he and el had been planning this for weeks. when he finally arrived they had quick pep talk and then went over to hopper, "hey dad?"

"yeah?"

"we have to talk to you about something." she started, "please don't tell me your pregnant. please don't tell me that." hopper said with pleading eyes, "no! no i'm not pregnant, it's something else."

"okay well spit it out." hopper insisted, "so senior year is coming to an end, and mike and i have been planning this since we were 15. we want to move in together." hopper started laughing, "aha- you-" he burst out laughing again, leaving mike and el giving him a blank look, "wait your serious?"

"yeah? why would we just tell you that randomly?" mike said sarcastically, "i don't know, you two say a lot of crazy stuff but that was by far the craziest. next you guys getting married in the middle of the woods! ha!" the couple rolled their eyes, "dad come on, were serious. we've been saving up, everything we get from our jobs goes into savings. we even looked at apartments and i think we found one."

"w-wait you guys found an apartment?" hopper asked, his eyes widened, "yeah." el replied, "you guys are really serious about this?" they both nodded, hopper closed his eyes as he sighed. they were that serious apparently, hopper thought about it. he wouldn't have to worry about his daughter suffering from heartbreak, he knew the last thing mike could ever do was break up with her. he knew the couple loved each other, this was bound to happen soon. "okay." he shrugged, "what?" they both said in unison, "okay, do it."

"your serious?"

"yeah, i mean i knew it was coming so i don't know why i should be surprised. do whatever, i just want to see how this all goes." hopper sighed, "thank you! thank you!" el exclaimed standing up to hug him, mike even gave hopper a hug and muttered a small thanks.

the couple had counted all of their money and added it all together. in total they had saved 8,570 dollars. what they needed for the apartment was 2,000. so they were all set.

about a week later, through all the paperwork and handing money over they had signed a lease for one year on the apartment. they would be moving in the next week so they began packing most of the things they would be needing. hopper was honestly stunned, he couldn't believe they were actually moving in together. it seemed like just yesterday he had found his adopted daughter in the woods. now watching her pack up her room they decorated together made his heart pinch.

when the el finished packing all of her things hopper didn't have any words. "i can't believe my little girl is moving out." he said quietly to her, "i'm not leaving the country dad, you can visit whenever you want." she chuckled, "i know but.. it's just going to be weird, you know?"