real ghost

based in season 2 (pretend el knows how to talk normally okay? okay.)
enjoy!

*

"oh jesus!" hopper exclaimed when he turned around to face a small child in a white sheet. "ghost." she said confidently, "yeah.. i see that." he mumbled returning to cooking the french toast that was frying on the pan. "halloween."

"sure is. but right now it's breakfast." he said unenthusiastically, "they wouldn't see me." she mumbled playing with her fingers, "who wouldn't see you?"

"the bad men."

"what are you talking about?"

"trick or t-treat." she stayed like it was obvious, "you want to go trick or treating?" she stayed quiet, "you know the rules." he said as he got up to retrieve the syrup. "no i-"

"no"

"but they wouldn't see me!"

"i don't care. i don't care. alright? you go out there, ghost or not it's a risk. and we don't take risks, alright? their stupid, and?"

"we are not stupid." she spat out angrily. "you take that thing off and sit down and eat. your food is getting cold." he grumbled, she ripped the sheet over her head and plopped down on her seat. she slouched backwards watching hopper pour some syrup on her french toast. she sighed, she had been thinking all night about the day to come. she wanted more than anything to go trick or treating, just to find mike. he had told her what he and the party would be dressing up as, as well as explains what halloween was.

she missed mike so much, and missed the way he would explain things. the way he would speak ever so softly to her, like she was a piece of glass that would break. she missed the way he would care for her more than anyone else would. he would constantly check on her. even if he thought she was asleep, she still heard him come down in the middle of the night and check on her when she stayed in his basement.

when he first started calling it was soft sobs on the other side of the super com. he could barely get a word out without crying. but it got better over time, occasionally those moments where he would cry every now and then. he called himself stupid and pathetic for crying and el wanted to kiss him all over and say that he was nowhere near those things. she wanted to kiss along the pattern of his freckles, making sure to count every single one along the way.

she missed him more than words could ever explain. and that's why sneaking out on halloween night was the only way to see him outside of the void. she needed to touch him, to make sure that he was really there. and she would do that tonight whether hopper liked it or not.

*

hopper told el he would get off early but 7 rolled around and he still wasn't home. it's now or never. she thought as she slipped the white sheet over her brown curls. she glanced in the mirror before hesitantly walking towards the door. hoppers rules haunted through her memory, she thought of how angry he would be when he found she wasn't at home. but she didn't care. she needed to see mike.

she closed her eyes to try and think of the street mike said he would be trick or treating on. lock a nora? no that couldn't be right.

loch nora! that's it! she smiled and went out of the door, she would follow kids until she found the street.

and soon enough a big concrete sign with a spotlight was shown. her stomach started to get fluttery, what if she couldn't find him? what if she gets taken? or what if hopper finds her? she shook the thoughts out of her head and walked into a neighborhood. the houses on the street were bigger than she had seen, bigger than mike's. kids had pillow cases on hand as they ran from house to house. people giving out candy to kids as they shouted 'trick or treat!'. it was all overwhelming. but all of her worries disappeared when she saw a familiar head of curly brown hair.