(15) Mona's Move

MONA

Ama pulls me with her, away from Noah's house and tells me he heard me. That he was in his back yard. Her face is bright red and she looks really flustered. I giggle a little because it's a rare sight. Usually men don't get to her. But Noah sure does. All the more reason to find a quiet spot in the park and really talk things through.

She needs to fix this thing with X. Today. It can't be happening. It's not worth it. I sure hope she sees it that way too though. I stay quiet during our walk towards the park because she clearly needs time to work some things out in her head. When we arrive at the park we find a quiet spot under a tree.

We lay the blanket out and put the basket in the middle. Ama sits down on it with her back against the tree and I sit down across from her. She has her eyes closed and I can feel the tension coming off her. I open the basket and see that X really pulled out all the stops. Various types of fruit, muffins, pieces of cheese, crackers, a bottle of orange juice and a thermos.

I find two plastic cups and fill one with orange juice. I hand it to Ama, who accepts it with a nod. I pour myself some juice too and look her over. She looks so young right now and I feel a bit sorry for her. "Ama. I'm not angry at you. I'm here for you. To help you with whatever you need." She looks up with a tiny smile on her face.

"But I need one question answered first." She nods and I ask: "Do you see yourself getting married to X and living happily ever after?"

She giggles and shakes her head.

"Then you need to end this thing with X. Today. Because the only way it could ever work is if you became my sister-in-law. That's the only way anyone could ever accept it. Any other way will just ruin the bond we all have."

I can see in her eyes that she understands what I mean completely and I find shame and sadness in those green orbs too.

I think I know what happened and decide to go for it. "Did it feel good, waking up with a man next to you?"

She nods and I see the tears start to form in her eyes. "Oh Ama, I get it. But X is not the one to do that with." I make a mental note of kicking his ass when I see him again.

Ama starts to cry and I feel bad. I hug her and she says through her tears: "I-I'm s-sorry. I d-didn't mean to fuck it all up. It did feel good to wake up with X. And I used him to feel better about myself, because I thought Noah... I'm sorry." 

I rub her back and softly ask: "Did you have sex with him?"

She suddenly giggles and tells me all about it. I burst out in laughter and when I've calmed down I say: "Gotta love karma. She punished him for me."

I can't even imagine how he must have felt and I kind of understand why Ama said yes to the picnic. She felt guilty and didn't want to hurt him. I look up at her and say: "Call him. Tell him. Fix this right now."

She stares down at her phone and I grab it out of her hands. I dial X's number and wait for him to pick up. I immediately jump in with the same question I asked Ama: "Do you see yourself getting married to Ama and living happily ever after?"

I can hear him choke on his coffee and I chuckle. "No?"

He mumbles: "Not right now no."

I firmly answer: "Ama said the same thing. So this thing between you two stops right here. Because the only way it could work is if you two were going to stay together forever. Let's not screw up this family-like friendship we have with each other, okay? Imagine you two breaking up. Things will never be the same after that."

X sighs at the other end of the line and I know he gets it. I also know he's had a thing for Ama since forever. I feel a tiny bit sorry for him, but they are not right for each other. I'm sure of it. 

"X?"

"Yeah?"

"Come to the park in half an hour." 

I hang up, give Ama her phone back, and notice the shock on her face. She didn't see that one coming. But I really think we should talk. All three of us. I don't want to ruin the relationship with either one of them and they need each other as friends. I open a container with pieces of fruit and hand it to Ama.

"Eat girl, while I tell you all about Montell. Because I stayed the night and it was amazing." She almost chokes on her piece of apple and stares at me wide-eyed.

I giggle and tell her all about falling asleep there. "Oh Ama, he's really all that. And he was so scared I would run off when he was getting us breakfast." Ama smiles at me and I tell her about his mother.

"Aww Moan. He was worried about that? I wonder how many women ran away after he told them that. And he doesn't sound like a player at all." I smile carefully and try to avoid her gaze. But I already know it's no use. Ama just waits till I'm ready to speak up. 

"I might really like him Ama. I'm just not sure I should."

I look her in the eye and she just looks back at me and smiles. "You should Moan. Give him a shot. He's always been kind to us, he loves his mother and he knows how to please a woman. What more could you possibly want?"

My phone beeps from my purse and I pull it out. I look at the screen and see a message from Montell.

I had a lot of fun babe. I hope Ama is well. Say hi to her for me. Hope to see you soon.
X Montell

I smile wide and I don't even have to tell my best friend. She knows. "I'll give him a shot Ama. If you promise me you won't give my brother one." 

She giggles and says: "Deal!"

♡♡♡

That was Mona's POV.
What do you think, did she handle it well?
Do you want Ama to end up with Noah?
Or do you think she should be with X?
Or do you want her to stay single?

Next POV is X's.