Chapter Three ~ I Am Become Monster

A/N:

So uh, just so you guys know...heh heh, I love you all. :3. Happy early Christmas!

I HAD SO MUCH FUN WITH THIS CHAPTER LIKE OH MY GOD -

When do you think Jasmine's going to come clean to Sam and tell him everything she's learning? And just who is Malik Roth? Hope you like the hisory lesson, guys...:D

~Cynder

Not my video, credit goes to the owner.

<~><~><~><~><~>

Chapter Three ~ I Am Become Monster

Part One ~ "Useless Without You"

Daniel rubbed the top of Roy soothingly. "I'm sorry I left ya, baby. I'm here."

Sam rolled his eyes. "You remind me of my brother."

"Man's gotta love his babies," the eldest of the group defended. "So we're gonna meet back up at our house, right?"

"Yeah," Jasmine said. "Set up there, keep it low and slow. It's the best place, I recon. Dad's probably got all sorts of things hidden around that I didn't know about. Maybe the Men left a few notes."

"Might be able to find something on Sargatanas and whoever she is," Sam suggested. He pat the top of the Charger. "Alright. We'll see you two there, then?"

"Yeah," Adam said.

"Be careful," said Daniel. He pointed at Sam. "And no unnecessary detours, son."

Sam held up his hands before getting in the car. Jasmine hugged her brother bye until they got back into Kansas, and even spared Adam a kiss on the cheek.

She had just about shut the passenger door of the charger when Daniel called out for her. "Wait! Jaz, is the tree still there?"

"I never let it die," she answered.

He fist-pumped and she shut the door, a genuine smile on her face. Sam pulled out of the lot first, heading straight for the highway, old faithful the map on the dash.

It was quiet for a good ten minutes before he decided to speak up. "Did I scare you?"

Jasmine shrugged. "Kind of. But you're okay, so --"

"I'm sorry. I couldn't help it. He just kind of came at me and -- I felt him digging around inside of me. Like he was moving everything around, but not anything physical."

She realized with a small jolt that Sam felt like he needed to talk about it. "Did it hurt?"

He gave a small chuckle and shook his head. "If I remembered Hell, that might have been it."

"I'm so sorry, Sammy."

"He was moving my head, it felt like. Or my memories. I saw things that weren't real. Like you -- Jaz, I saw you."

She cocked her head. "How so?"

And for the first time since she'd known him, his voice genuinely cracked. "I -- I saw you, on the ground." He cleared his throat. "And you were...you were dead. Your skin was as white as snow. Your lips were blue. And your eyes, Jaz, your beautiful eyes lost their color. And I was just sitting there, holding you. I -- I think I was crying. I can remember feeling your hair, all dull, between my fingers. I couldn't feel you breathing.

"You didn't grab onto me or say my name. You just stayed completely still. I remember screaming your name, I think. I was -- strangely, for the first time this year -- terrified. Scared that I'd lost you. That I'd never get to hear you talk again, or feel your breath on my skin." He swallowed thickly. "And, fuck it all, I'd never kiss you. Never take you on a date. That you'd never have sex with someone. Never get married. Never laugh again."