[Part2] ⤀ 27] A Queen's Instinct [1/2]

[Part2] 27] A Queen's Instinct [1/2]

I begrudgingly follow Eros to Blade's ship. Whether I liked it or not, I would have to tell Blade the news. The question was how would he take it?

I'm warm and comforted, with a silk scarf around my shoulders while Eros walks the ship's main cabin room, sticking his fingers into every collectable – while Blade stands in the middle, staring me down with a knowing twitch in his nostrils. I pretend to be distracted by the treasure as well, I simply do not wander around like the bold shark.

"You walk onto my ship and say nothing, while avoiding my gaze, the both of you," Blade begins, his airy exhale is tense, "What do you want?"

"Well," a sigh I can't hold back overtakes my attempt to explain, while Eros starts to rattle a tin box full of coins.

"How full is this?" Eros growls low, distracted, "Pennies or gold?" he opens the lid, "Diamonds. Always hunting the sparkly items in life, Blade... you haven't changed, deary."

"Just put it down, Eros," Blade evil eyes his friend and former lover, until Eros finally places down the treasure on the desk in slow motion with a fake smile, "Well? Lily?" Blade glances to me, "Continue, darling."

"How do I poetically say it," I stare at my hands. I knew why I was here now – why Blade had been summoned. Eros was rather practical, wasn't he, and a surprisingly good friend. He wanted Blade to know he was going to be a father. He didn't want him to miss out, despite the awkwardness.

"Did you poison Darya?" I blurt, deciding to start on a different topic – a little cowardly but I may as well build up to a bigger point.

"Poison? I do not poison anyone. Why would I do that when I can rip someone's head clean off with a single jaw breaking bite around their neck with these?" Blade is quick and precise, trailing one of his fingers along one of his formidable and hidden fangs – however, now my brows crease.

If he didn't poison Darya... who did?

"What?" I whisper to myself, confused. Darya had been so certain, "There was a black mark on her neck, Blade – she was certain it happened on your ship."

"Black blood from an urchin?" Blade asks, "Nay – not my forte, Lily. That's harvested by special techniques from the Pelagic Clan. Even I know a thing or two about your little Island – it always interested me... to observe at least... from afar, from a page," Blade is sly and secretly proud and confident, but he doesn't seem to be associated with the poison.

"Oh – well, I don't know, someone poisoned her... from Pelagic Clan?" I shrug.

"Aren't you all competing for a throne?" Blade asks, changing the topic, "Why are you here? I assumed there was an emergency. What favour are you calling upon now, Eros – you sly scumbag. Speak the truth, however Strange it may be."

"You're getting old and ugly," Eros counters the argument with something that makes no sense and has no relevance to anything.

"Oh, darling lunatic, get a handle of yourself in my lair," Blade drawls back – and while they exchange their intense and lovely-insults aimed at one another, I zone out.

Competing for a throne. Aegir. He was from Pelagic.

He poisoned my sister.

Aegir did.

Signet's words echo through my mind.

I didn't die for you to succumb, Lily... to the law of the Island – the Clans need a Queen.

A Queen.

The Clans need a Queen.

Queens make decisions – they do not ask or fight for permission.