[Part2] ⤀ 24] Sisters of the Sea

[Part2] 24] Sisters of the Sea

I spend the day alone, traversing the waters – practicing my powers over the Rough. I attempt to make different styles of wave, slow and unseemly vs fast and tall and deadly. While swimming I do notice the peace in the water is only dampened by the deathly quiet.

No Mermaids, Merka, Erebos or Sirens were swimming out here today.

Instead, they would be fiercely protecting their houses and their family from the Strange welcome of their greatest enemy. No one would relax until they all had enough faith that the Treaty by Treasure would uphold.

I am on my way back from a day out in the sea, when I see an interesting sight on my journey back through the fastest current.

Darya is visible on a small isle of sand, she stands alone, arms crossed, looking out over the oceans – as if looking for me. When we make eye contact, she waits and I decide I shall approach.

Once I can stand in the shallows, I walk up towards her still staring. She is looking guilty, cheeks red and eyes wide.

"What do you want?" I ask Darya, not closing the distance all the way, I cross my arms over my chest, mirroring her as I wait for her answer.

"Lily," Darya speaks and lifts her head, her lip wobbling, "I think I am dying."

"What?" I snap out, completely blind-sided.

"Blade poisoned me on his ship, I didn't notice until the last hour," Darya pulls her hair off her shoulder and shows me black veins near the back of her neck, "I am already going numb –it's slow acting."

I've now swiftly run forward to inspect further, lifting her hair aside, I inspect the wound and the poison injected.

Idiot. Vile. Blade. So unpredictable.

"A slow kind of death, but why?" I whisper.

"I think he wants to hurt Bellus," Darya pulls out of my grasp and wipes a hand through her watery eyes, turning to look at the other direction of open sea, "I know you'll probably think I deserve it. I am a terrible sister. We are all terrible to each other."

"You're not going to die," I don't deny her statement, but I do grab her elbow and pull her along with me, "Come – I'm going to fix this."

"It's unfixable," Darya wrenches out of my grasp, "I cannot face Bellus, that is why I've been on this bloody strip of sand. He loves me. Why does Blade hate him so much that he'd kill me?"

I turn to see her sit in defiance on the sand, hugging her knees to her chest, so I sit opposite her, my mind racing.

Poison. I had to cleanse her blood without killing her. It was going to be difficult but not impossible.

"What is wrong with Blade?" Darya questions me again, while I'm thinking inwardly.

I blink back to the present, and I turn to see her eyes fogging over in front of me, as a black vein wisps through her cheek, towards her brain – very suddenly, as if breaking through into the next phase.

"Oh – I... what? I can't see," Darya freezes, holding up her hands in front of her eyes, "I'M BLIND, LILY!"

"Wait," I stay unreasonably calm as I launch at her and shove her back into the sand, I'm rough but I need to act quickly, "Don't move!" instincts take over as I make a small incision at her neck with my small fangs and I suck out the poison, spitting out the acrid taste. It was extremely dangerous but as long as I didn't swallow it I would be okay.