Star Studded Skies

Gregory and I stood up, realizing the time. He waited in the living room as got ready. I chose a yellow silk dress with a diamond belt.

I walked out and saw Gregory's eyes light up. "You look beautiful, Ruby." He leaned down and gave me a peck on the cheek. "Shall we?" he asked, holding out his arm for me to take.

"We shall." I took his arm and smiled.

We headed to the dining deck. We noticed Scarlett and Nicholas seated at a table near the middle, laughing and talking.

We walked to them, sat, and enjoyed our evening. We chatted for what seemed like ages before Scarlett stated that it was getting late.

"Nicholas and I are going to take a walk. Don't wait up for me, Ruby!" Scarlett yelled to me as they walked away.

I laughed and waved. I felt a hand grab mine and pull me away from where I was standing.

I giggled and started to run with Gregory. "Where are we going?" I laughed.

"Just come to the deck with me!"

We arrived and stated up at the sky.

"The stars are stunning out here," I said, looking up.

"Aren't they?" Gregory replied. He sat on the wooden deck and patted the spot next to him. "Sit with me," he said.

I sat and took his hand. He squeezed mine tightly.

"Ruby, what are we doing?" Gregory asked after a few minutes of silence.

I gave him a quizzical look. "What do you mean?"

"I mean what are we doing?" He restated his question. I gave him another confusing look, which caused him to sigh loudly and run his free hand though his gorgeous dirty blonde hair, causing some pieces to stand straight up.

"Ruby, when this boat docks in New York, I can't get off."

When I didn't reply, he took that as his cue to continue. "But you will. You will get off and go on with life. I won't. I will stay on the ship."

I broke our eye contact and looked out onto the water. I could feel the tears coming on. I didn't want to leave him on the ship. But I couldn't just stay on it and leave Scarlett hanging.

"Ruby, tell me what you're thinking. Please."

"I'm thinking that I'm stupid and ignorant." I released his hand and covered my face. I wasn't crying, I was just frusterated.

"If it's any constellation, I'm both of those things as well."

I looked over at Gregory, not knowing what to say to him.

"Are you trying to break up with me now so that way it doesn't have to happen later?"

He looked at me for a little while, not answering my question. He then took my hand again, looking me right in the eyes.

"I don't believe I've felt this way about anyone before, Ruby. Why would I give that all up now?"

I looked at him, not knowing how to answer his question.

"We could write everyday until I got back, and then, if you still like me, we could be together all the time. We could live near eachother and maybe soon move farther and fall in love." By now, he had me pulled onto his lap and his arms wrapped around me.

I grabbed his face in my hands. "How could I not still love you?"

"I don't know, love. It's possible for some people to just stop."

"Well, I boarded this ship looking for something new and fun and fascinating. You want to know something?" He nodded, awaiting my next words. "I was luckily enough to find all of that in one thing." I leaned down and gave him a gentle kiss on the lips.

"You know what?" he asked me, as I leaned my head onto his shoulder.

"What?" I replied.

"I couldn't be more happy that you're here with me, darling." He rested his head on the top of mine. "I know I met you only a few days ago, but I really feel like I've known you for a whole lot longer." He was silent for a moment.

"And something else you should know, Ruby. I might be falling in love."