A Tide of Events

"Uh, Rose. That's, uhm..." I wasn't quite sure how I wanted to react. Rose was engaged to a rich man who had everything anyone could ever want. He could give her anything. He could make her happy. There is no way she could just give that all away to be with Jack. He may be sweet and considerate and handsome, but people like Rose don't think about all of that.

"Ruby, please keep this to yourself. I'm begging you."

"Of course, Rose. I would never exploit you like that." I took her hand in mine and gave it a reassuring squeeze.

"Thank you," she said, standing up. She turned and walked to the trash can and headed back for the first class bedrooms.

"Ruby! Ruby!" I turned around to see Scarlett excitedly jumping up and down like a frog.

I laughed a little at the sight of it. "What?"

"Nicholas and I want to formally invite you and Gregory to dinner tonight at six o'clock." She smiled a wide smile, showing off her one dimple.

"Let me check with him to make sure he's available, but sure. I'm sure we'll be there," I answered. "I'll meet you back in the room later, okay?" I turned and headed to our room.

I entered the hallway and just as I did, I felt hands around my waist an pulling me up against the wall. I met eyes with bright blue ones.

"Hello, beautiful," Gregory whispered in my ear. He gave me a small peck on the lips. I wrapped my arms around his neck and gave him a tight hug. I rested my head on his shoulder and he kissed the top of my head.

"Why so cuddly?" he laughed.

I felt my face get hotter and hotter. "Just am, I suppose." I looked up at him. He was beautiful. His fair skin, perfect dimples, messy and shaggy, yet perfectly placed, dirty blonde hair, everything was brilliantly placed on him. "We've been invited to dinner tonight with Scarlett and Nicholas."

"Ah, yes. He told me." Gregory smiled at me. "I suppose I should be a gentleman and ask you this." He took my hand and placed it on his chest, still holding on to it. "Ruby Horan, would you care to join me on this beautiful night for a lovely dinner date?" He smiled a cheeky smile, showing his beautiful dimples again that always made my heart go mad.

"Of course I would, Admiral Sheeran!" I winked at him and leaned in for a kiss. He leaned down to kiss me back.

"Care to come in?" I asked him, gesturing towards my door.

"Certainly!" he replied cheerfully, holding out his arm for me to take.

I opened the door and we walked in. We sat down on the couch, he leaned on one arm of the couch, and I leaned on the other. The couch was rather short, so our hands met in the middle, just holding on to one another. We made small talk, and were sometimes just silent. It wasn't an awkward silence, but a comfortable one. Just us two, enjoying eachothers company.

"So what did Captain Smith have to say to you?" I questioned him.

His face had a look of fear at first, but he quickly recomposed himself. "Oh, nothing important."

"I can tell when you're lying to me, and right now you are." I glared at him, and gave a sly smile.

"Okay, okay. Just swear to me nobody will find out."

"I swear."

"Good. So earlier today, the Carpathia sent our ship an iceberg warning. They keep sending them, but Captain Smith keeps choosing to ignore them." He looked concerned.

"Why so scared?" I asked him.

"I don't know," he said. "I'm just silly, I suppose."

"Well, he is the captain, Gregory. I think he knows whether the ice is dangerous enough or not."

He became more relaxed at my words. "You're right, babe. I'm glad I have you." He reached over and brought me to his lap.

"We should probably be getting ready for tonight!" I laughed.

"Maybe in a few minutes." He wrapped his arms around me. "Right now, I just want to hold my world for a little while."