Dirupting Waves

"Admiral Sheeran?"

Gregory detached his face from mine and sighed loudly. "Captain Smith."

"May I speak to you in private?"

Gregory's eyes looked nervous, but they returned to their calm look quickly. He kept his eyes on me when he answered. "Of course, sir."

I moved off his lap and stood up. Captain Smith smiled at me and tipped his hat. "Aftenoon, Ms. Horan."

"Afternoon, Captain." I smiled and gave a little courtesy.

"I'll meet you back at your room, okay?" Gregory said, smiling assuringly. I knew something wasn't right, but I smiled back, ignoring the feeling.

I walked to the deck again and saw Scarlett standing near the railing looking out at the water. I walked over and stood next to her.

"Where the hell have you been?" she said, giving me a tight hug.

"I was with Gregory."

"What?!"

"That's not important now. What happened with you and Jack?"

She looked back to the water. I could've sworn I saw tears begin in her eyes. "Let's go to the room and talk, okay?"

We started walking to the room. We got to the hallway when I saw Rose walking down the hall. I wanted to yell out to her, but Scarlett covered my mouth and pulled me to our room.

As soon as we got in and the door was shut, then the tears started spilling over.

"How could he kiss me one minute and then the next he's in love with some engaged woman?" she cried. She collapsed on the couch and put her face in her hands. "I just, I just want him to be mine again. He doesn't understand how much I fell for him."

I sat down next to her and put my arm around her. It's all going to be alright, Scarlett. I promise."

There was a sharp knock on the door.

I stood up and headed to the door. "Trust me, Scarlett." I opened the door and saw Admiral Payne standing there. He had a bouquet of roses in his hand.

"Admiral Payne!" I said, shocked and surprised.

"Hello, Ruby," he said, nervously. "Is Scarlett here?"

"Uh, yeah. She's on the couch."

"May I come in?"

"Of course! Please, just come right on in."

He stepped in the room and walked towards Scarlett. She sat up, looking just as shocked as I was.

"Nicholas! Uh, hi!"

"Hello, Scarlett." He sat down on the couch awkwardly. "These are for you." He handed her the roses, and her eyes sparkled.

"For me? What for?"

"You looked sad on the deck. I just wanted to cheer you up." He looked down at his hands. "I also wanted to invite you to dinner with me tonight." He turned towards me. "And if you and Gregory would like to join, you're more than welcome to."

I smiled at him. "Well, maybe Scarlett and you would like some time to talk before you go inviting more people there, Nicholas." He laughed a little before turning to look at Scarlett again. I decided this was my cue to leave.

I walked out the door and went out on the deck. I walked over to the café and sat to order a coffee. I heard a loud noise and glass breaking. I stood up and headed to where the sound erupted from.

"You will never do that again, do you understand me?" It was Rose's fiancé. He was in Rose's face, yelling at her. I stood there staring. Rose looked terrified, but she shook her head, agreeing to him. He then walked away, leaving her terrified in her chair. A maid came over to help her clean up. I ran over to her while they maid left the room. Rose was in tears.

"Rose! What the hell was that about?"

"It's all my fault," she cried.

"What is?" I put my arm around her and she cried into my shoulder.

"I'm falling for Jack, Ruby. I'm falling for Jack."