Calming Tides

Arms wrapped around my waist. I jumped with shock as I turned around to punch someone in the face. I met deep, crystal blue eyes. Instantly, the panic was replaced with calmness, which was quickly replaced with adrenaline.

"Uh, what are you doing?"

"Just let me have this moment. Please, Ruby?" Gregory leaned down and kissed my forehead. I heard coughing behind me and turned to see Rose. Gregory smirked at her before kissing my cheek from behind. Then it clicked on what he was doing.

He was trying to drive Rose crazy.

"Hello, Admiral Sheeran." Rose's eyes locked with his. Not even a hint of jealousy spread across her face. She was good, but he was better.

"Ah, lovely to see you again, Mrs. Bukater." He gave her a friendly smile. But nothing was going to break her.

"Shouldn't workers and passengers have a fine line drawn between them?" Rose grabbed my arm, pulling me out of his grasp. She stepped in front of him, putting her face up to his in a rather intimidating way. "If I find out you touch her again, I will have you thrown into the water faster than you can say 'Ruby'. Do I make myself perfectly clear, Admiral Sheeran?" She raised her eyebrows, waiting for an answer.

"You didn't seem to mind two nights ago when you, the innocent passenger, shoved me against the wall and kissed me, now did you, Mrs. Bukater?" Rose's mouth fell open in shock. Gregory continued. "So let's put it this way. You say anything about me ever dreaming about hurting Ruby, and I tell your lovely husband-to-be about what you did." He ended his sentence and had a huge smile on his face. Rose kissed him? A day before the ship even set sail? How long had they known eachother? Did he kiss her back? Did he like it? Of course he did, quit being so stupid, Ruby. Rose is a gorgeous woman with money and class. Who wouldn't like it?

I was in a trance when Gregory came from behind me and wrapped his arms around me again. Rose turned around to face him. "I never kissed you, you pig!" And with that, she reached around me and slapped him right on the cheek. He turned back, seeming to be unaffected by her abuse.

"And I never planned on hurting Ruby, Rose." My heart stopped. He's choosing me over Rose? This can't be. Rose is perfect.

Rose looked me in the eyes and gave me a reassuring smile. "If he does anything that indicates even remotely wanting to harm you, you come find me, do you understand? You come find me or Jack or even Nicholas. He will help you. Trust me." I moved from Gregory's arms and gave her a hug. I laid my head on her shoulder.

"Thank you for looking out for me, Rose." I let go of her and turned to Gregory. "We need to talk. Now." I took his hand and dragged him, just like Scarlett had done with Jack. Gregory didn't protest one bit. Instead, He went in front of me and led me to the empty, quiet church. He sat down in the front row and sat me down on his lap.

"I'll say whatever you need to hear, beautiful." His eyes locked on mine. I was mesmerized. Was he doing this on purpse to get me to forget what I needed to ask him?

"Not working, but nice try," I said. I slid off his lap and into the empty space next to him. "I'm just really confused at the moment."

"About?"

"Well, last night you said you liked Rose. Why the sudden change of heart?"

He stared off into space, like he was concentrating on something. He then looked at me and took my hand. He laughed a little bit. "Because Ruby, if I really loved Rose, I wouldn't have fallen for you." He picked me up and put me back on his lap. "Ruby, you were on my mind all last night. After you stormed off to the deck, I honestly thought you were going to jump. I would've never forgiven myself if you had. I followed you out there, but you were just staring at the stars, so I didn't bother you." He looked down before looking back into my eyes. "I don't love Rose anymore for one reason, and one reason only. She's not you."

Before I could stop myself, my lips came crashing down on his. At that moment, I was happier than I'd been in months, maybe even years. Scarlett crossed my mind for a moment. Had her and Jack made up yet? I shoved it aside. All I wanted to do now was focus on this kiss.

I put my hand on the back of his neck and pulled him closer to me. There wasn't any room left between us. Not even a piece of paper could fit. This was no longer a kiss. This was a full on make out session.

Not that I minded, of course. I was falling hard, and I never, ever, ever wanted to get up.