chapter twenty-seven

Start from the beginning

"Then what happened?" I heard the sound of a key scraping in a lock and I was pushed down into a chair against the wall. I try and blink away the blurriness in my vision, but it's no use. Everything in the room is spinning.

"The Death Eaters came... we duelled... our wands did something... something funny...saw our parents... and Cedric... but they weren't real... ghosts I think," Harry was thrusted into a chair beside me, and I slip my hand into his, catching my breath and choking a sob, for the first time in a while. A goblet was placed in my hands and I was ordered to drink. I tried to bring the rim to my mouth but my shaking hands denied it. Without even moving as much as a finger, I felt the liquid being poured down my throat. I cough and splutter at the peppery taste and burning in my throat. Instantly, the room came into better focus, and the room stopped spinning.

"Voldemort's back? Are you sure? How did he do it?" Moody said, his eyes fixed on Harry and I, unblinkingly.

"Took stuff from Wormtail, his f-father's grave... a-and us," I say, finding my voice and speaking up.

"What did he take from you?"

"B-blood," I say, swallowing hard and putting my head in my shaking hands.

"There's a Death Eater at Hogwarts!" Harry says, abruptly, "T-they put our names in the Goblet - made sure we got through to the end." I feel Harry try to get up, from beside me, but he is pushed back down with a thump.

"I know who the Death Eater is," Moody says in a rough, bit quiet voice. My head snaps up, looking at the guilty face in front of me.

"What?" I question, wildly, my eyebrows furrowing.

"It was me," he says, his magical eye rolling around wildly in his head, clearly checking that nobody was outside the door. He pulls his wand out and points it between my eyes, moving it between Harry and I. I heard but I didn't believe. "Who put your names in the Goblet under the name of a different school. I did. Who frightened off any person I thought would hurt or try and prevent you from winning the Tournament? I did. Who persuaded Hagrid to show you, Harry, the dragon? I did. Who helped you find a way to get past the dragon? I did. It's been difficult. So very difficult guiding you through these tasks without raising any suspicion on myself. I had to use every bit of cunning within me. But I made sure you had a decent head start in the maze so hopefully you could both get rid of the other champions in your way. The second task was when I was most afraid we would fail... I knew you were struggling with the egg, Olivia, so I had to give you a little hint-"

"You didn't," I cut him off, hoarsely. "Cedric told me how to do it."

"Who do you think gave Cedric the idea to hold it on the water eh? I did! Decent people are so easy to manipulate. It's all been me! You think Longbottom would've known about Gillyweed if I hadn't given him the book that lead his straight to it!" He slams his fist on the table, his voice growing angrier and angrier every second. I jump slightly in my chair, my hands trembling. It couldn't have been him. Dumbledore trusted him!

"You were so long in that lake, Olivia, I was sure you drowned, but Dumbledore took your idiocy for nobility and gave you a high score. I was relieved. And as for tonight... I was patrolling around the edge of the maze, I managed to stun Fleur, out the Imperius Curse on Krum and set him on Cedric, leaving your path clear. Ingenious isn't it?" How is this possible... it makes no sense... no sense at all.

"You're mad!" Harry exclaims. He can't help himself can he?

"Mad am I?" Moody says, raising his voice, uncontrollably. "We'll see who's mad now that the Dark Lord has returned! Returned with me at his side! He's back, Potters! You didn't conquer him- and now I conquer you!" He raises his wand a little higher but I get there first. I reach right down into my pocket and fling my wand out of my robes.