chapter eight

"It's the way he talks," Harry says, grimacing, as we limped out of Moody's classroom an hour later. Moody has insisted that he put Harry and I under the curse another 3 times before we could throw it off fully. My ears were now constantly ringing, my head spinning and my knees trembling beneath me. "..you'd think we were going to be attacked any second!"

"I know," I say, "And ugh that eye! I feel like it's penetrating right into my brain!"

"Talk about paranoid..." Said Ron, who was now checking over his shoulder to guarantee that Moody was no where in ear-shot. "No wonder they were glad to get shot of him at the Ministry, did you hear him telling Seamus about what he did to that witch who shouted 'boo' behind him on April Fools' Day?"

"I know!" I say, alarmed, "That poor girl..."

"And when are we going to have the time to read up about resisting the Imperius Curse with everything else we've got to do?" Ron complains. In the past week, I along with all the other fourth years had seen a major increase in the amount of homework we were getting, which Professor McGonagall explained to us one afternoon after receiving a loud groan at the amount of Transfiguration homework she had set.

"You are now entering a most important stage of your magical education, here at Hogwarts!" She said in her firm voice, eyes flickering dangerously behind her spectacles. "Your Ordinary Wizarding Levels are drawing closer -"

"But we don't take O.W.L's til' fifth year!" Dean Thomas cut in.

"Maybe not, Mr Thomas but believe me, you need all the preparation you can get! Miss Granger still remains the only one in the class to successfully transform their hedgehog into a pincushion. Might I remind you that your pincushion, Thomas still curls up in fright whenever somebody comes even close to it with a pin!"

I could see Hermione next to me flush a bright pink, but also looking at her feet trying too hard not to be pleased with herself.

Harry, Ron and I also found it deeply hilarious when Professor Trelawney announced to us that we had received top marks in our recent homework. She read out some of each of our predictions and looked rather sorry for us, at the horrifying month ahead of us, but we were all less amused when she asked the whole class to do the same thing for the month after next.

Meanwhile all the other teachers seemed to be ganging up on us and setting us endless amounts of homework that would surely cause our brains to melt out of our noses and ears in frustration. Professor Binns, the ghost who taught History of Magic, had us writing weekly essays on the Goblin Rebellions of the eighteenth century and Snape was making us research antidotes. We all took Snape's homework very seriously as he said he might be poisoning one of us before Halloween to see if their antidotes worked. Professor Flitwick has us read three extra books than normal in order to prepare for our lesson on Summoning Charms.

Even Hagrid, the mixes teacher on the school, was adding to our large workload during lessons as the Blast-Ended Skrewts were growing at an alarming rate and given that nobody had discovered what they ate yet, he had us come down to his hut and take notes on their extraordinary behaviour as a part of our "project."

"I will not," Draco said flatly, "I see enough of these things durning lessons, thanks." For some strange reason I find him way more attractive when he is being snappy and rude to someone. The way his eyebrows furrowed in disgust and the small crease appears between them, with his lips upturned into his iconic smirk.

Hagrid's smile faded at Draco's remark.

"Yeh'll do as yer told," he growled "or I'll be takin' a leaf outta Professor Moody's book... I hear yeh make a good ferret, Malfoy."