chapter one

I look myself up and down in the mirror of my new bedroom in the castle. Although this room, won't be in use for some time, as I will be joining the others in the dormitories, it had already started to feel more like home, in a week, than what my dusty old room in the orphanage had felt like for the past thirteen years. I carefully examine the way I look. My hair falls in loose, black curls around my waist, my cheeks are flushed a rosy-pink colour, my eyelashes are black and curled, my eyebrows are dark and slightly bushy and most importantly, my uniform. My black robes fall comfortably around my ankles, my skirt, lays smooth around my thighs, and of course, my Gryffindor tie, hangs around my neck, proudly representing where I belong. I didn't get sorted properly because they thought it would be too much hassle sending me in with the first years, so they put me into Gryffindor, like Harry. They said that is I was anything like him, Gryffindor would certainly be the place for me to be.

I smile, happily and turn on my heels and head towards Dumbledore's office, grabbing my bag off my desk on the way. I slowly try and make my was to his office, making sure to take in my surroundings as I do so. This castle is so glorious. With its huge towers, and moving staircases, and pictures covering every inch of every wall. I just can't get enough of it. When I reach, the marvellous Gargoyle, which leads to Dumbledore's office, I speak the password, Sherbet Lemons, and it springs to life, moving out of the way and revealing a grand staircase that twists around, leading to the Headmaster's office.

I walk up this stairwell, listening to the echo of my shoes hitting the stone below me. I place my hand on the banister and let it glide along, walking up like a celebrity.

I really need to stop imagining things.

As I reach the magnificent door, I ball my hands into fists and reach out to knock on it. My hand was about an inch away from the door when I heard a click and the door opened in front of me, revealing the large office, and of course, the man himself. I look around. Fawkes the Phoenix sits on his perch, head up, proudly, his crimson feathers and golden tail, the colour of fire. Portraits of previous Headmaster's of Hogwarts, hang wonkily on the walls, each and every one of them either in a deep sleep, snoring away or sitting down, looking rather dazed and bored. Random, fascinating gadgets and objects lay scattered about the room, which in the muggle world, would look rather out of place.

"Ah, Olivia." Dumbledore says, turning around knocking me out of my daze, his lilac robes, dangling at his feet, his half-moon spectacles on the usual spot on his nose, his beard long, frizzy and white. "Do come in"

I take small, slow steps up to his desk, carefully taking in every single detail of his comfortable little office. I pull out the chair on the opposing side of the table and sit down on it, placing my arms on the armrests. Dumbledore doesn't. He still stands, observing the dusty bookshelf of hundreds of books in front of his face.

"I have some things to give you, before the other students arrive." He says, his voice gentle and welcoming.

"What is it Professor?" I ask, elongating my neck, so I could see what he was looking for. He keeps looking for a couple more seconds an pulls out a book from the section labelled 'Tales', the scratching of the two covers together, satisfying to my ears. He blows a thin layer of dust off of the book, and places the book carefully on the shiny wood at my chest. The cover read "The Tales of Beedle the Bard"

I open the book, running my index finger down the middle and inhaling the smell of the pages. It's an old book, I can tell, some corners have been folded, there are many dark stains, and the pages are rough and crinkled, but I didn't care. A book is a book, and all books are beautiful.

"It has been in my collection for many years now, and I thought that you might like to start your reading with one of my favourite series of fairytales," Dumbledore says. "And after you've finished, you're more than welcome to pay me a visit and pick some more"