chapter nine

The heads of houses were frantically ordering the students about into lines. The obedient first-years were scurrying about, hastily trying to get into the correct lines and positions but the older years seemed to be more relaxed and definitely took their time getting to the front of the castle.

It was a very overcast autumn evening and the sun didn't seem to be making any appearance. The wind was chilly and the grass below us was damp and slippery. Although the weather seemed very depressing and down-putting, it didn't lower the spirits and excitement that was flying high in Hogwarts today.

Harry, Ron, Hermione and I managed to push through the large crowds of sixth and seventh years, and eventually found the spot where the fourth year Gryffindors were gathered, waiting for the arrival of our house guests. The teachers were snapping at students to fix their uniforms and shouting at any misbehaviour.

"Weasley, straighten your hat." Professor McGonagall said sternly to Ron. "And Miss Patil take that ridiculous thing out of your hair." Pavarti scowled at her and then removed a blue butterfly hair pin from the end of her plait. "Miss Pearson please sort out your tie!"

I roll my eyes at her and look down at my neck, my red and gold tie hangs loosely and crooked on my chest. I grab the end and the knot of the tie and tighten it all the way up to the neck, almost strangling me. I don't mind wearing uniform at all, it's the ties that I hate, it give you no neck room and makes you feel restricted to any movement of your head. That's why I always wear it so loose and incorrectly.

We waited patiently for about another fifteen minutes outside the enormous castle, and dusk was with us now. The sky was painted with hints of orange and twinges of pink and purple, the clouds had cleared around the castle and a transparent looking moon was visible above the Forbidden Forest.

"Nearly six," Ron said, looking up from his old brass wristwatch. "How d'you reckon they're getting here, the train?"

"Doubt it," Hermione said, looking around for any sign of disruption or arrival around the grounds.

"What about through the forest?" I say, peering into the dark forest "Nobody knows how far it goes, there could be something at the end."

"Could be," Harry said, "but it's Forbidden. Broomsticks?" He looked up to the canvas of colours and searched.

"Not from that far away." I say

"Portkeys?" Ron said, "or they could Apparate, maybe they're allowed to do it under seventeen where they come from."

"You can't Apparate within Hogwarts, how many times?" Hermione tuts, impatiently.

We stood silently, scanning the darkening grounds, observantly, but nothing moved, everything was still and as quiet as ever. The wind was now causing me to shiver and the cold night air was giving me goosebumps. I wished they'd hurry up, so I could get inside and eat something.

"Aha! Unless I am very much mistaken, the delegation from Beauxbatons approaches!" Dumbledore called out from the back seats f the large mass of students, where he stood along with the other teachers.

"Where?" Many students said, eagerly spinning their heads in every direction trying to get a look.

"Look there!" A sixth year student yelled, pointing over the Forest.

Sure enough, something huge, much larger than a broomstick, or as a matter of fact a hundred broomsticks, was soaring through the deep blue sky heading for the castle, getting larger every second.

"It's a dragon!" Exclaimed one of the first years, excitedly.

"Don't be stupid! It's a flying house!" Dennis Creevey said. It did indeed look like a flying house. As it got closer and the lights of the castle hit the object, we saw an enormous powder-blue horse-drawn carriage, flying towards us, pulled by a dozen, white winged horses, each the size of an elephant. The front three rows jumped back as the carriage dropped lower at a tremendous speed and then with a loud CRASH the horses with voices larger than dinner plates, hit the ground, followed by the carriage, which bounced and then came to a halt. The white horses tossed their golden manes and rolled their fiery-red eyes. The door of the carriage bore a large coat of arms, which showed two golden wands crossed with three starts emitting from them, before they were swung open and a boy in pale blue robes jumped down, bent forwards and unfolded a large set of elegant, golden steps.