Chapter Fifteen: Back On the Trail

A/N: So, I have finally decided to continue this story......sort of.....there's this chapter, but I have absolutely no idea when I'll post another, seeing as I'm currently juggling Runaways as well as another book that I'm writing and adding this onto that pile will just create a gigantic mess. So here's chapter 15, hope you like it :)

Allyson's P.O.V

My eyes snap open to see a canopy of trees above me, slightly fuzzy from my sleepy eyes. I stretch and sit up, casting my gaze around the clearing. There's no sign of Callista or Robbie anywhere and by the angle of the sun I can tell that it's coming up on noon. Did I really sleep for that long? Whatever happened to my 'always wake up at dawn' 2 year regimen? Did Robbie and Callista drug me or something? Why am I asking myself questions while those two could be missing?

I stand up abruptly and search for any signs of life apart from myself, there's a smattering of footsteps that we made last night, but other than that, no clue remains as to where my compainions have disappeared to.

"Robbie? Callista? Are you guys here?" I start, taking a step towards the tent, "Oi fruitcake!! Where are you!"

I hear a groan coming from the tent and open the flap to see a very tired looking Robbie staring at me with bleary eyes. "The best part of the dream to."

"You can dream later, it's almost noon. Besides, have you seen Callista?"

He blinks owlishly a few times, "I don't know, I fell asleep in here after the two of you passed out in front of the fire last night."

"Well she's not here."

I shut Robbie back into the tent and go over to where the remains of last night's fire are still smouldering and find a simple message scratched into the ground.

Thank You

"She's gone."

"What do mean she's gone?"

"I mean, she must have left last night while we were sleeping."

Robbie begins to rant as I allow my thoughts to wander. It's never nice having to say goodbye to someone you like -which in my case is very rare, I'm not a people person- but I have to give Callista some credit for instead choosing to avoid the inevitable confrontation. I guess we were more alike that I thought.

"She even took some of our food!"

I spin on heel, "Robbie, I told her last night that she could. What else was I supposed to do? Abandon her in the woods to starve to death? Or maybe the Z's would catch up to her first!"

Robbie takes a step back, shocked at my outburst, "Well..I...I guess you couldn't of..but.." he stutters out. "But what?" I say, surprising the both of us with the venom that has somehow creeped into my tone.

"But you never would've done that before."

I don't bother to respond, trapped instead in the whirling vortex of my thoughts. Callista's story dug up unwanted memories that I would rather stayed buried. Memories of when I actually, for the first time in 4 years, had the feeling that my life was heading in the better direction, but then he just had to go and shatter all that....no, his appearance in my life didn't shatter anything, it was his departure that crumbled the walls I had spent 5 years carefully rebuilding. I can't tell Robbie anything about that, not him, not anyone.

"Allyson? You zoned out there for a second, you okay?"

I stare at Robbie's eyes, those eyes that remind me so much of his, and I feel the memories start to surface again, "I'm fine, let's just pack up and get to San Francisco. The Immortui made us lose precious time and ground. Jay's going to think we're dead." I say, though even I can tell the seemingly normal tone in my voice is faked, and I can tell by Robbie's face that he sees it to.