Chapter Ten: Ninja With a Flamthrower?

Allyson's P.O.V

"Holy shit!!" Robbie shouts as we slide down the metal tunnel.

I try to think up a smart-ass remark but come up blank. On second thought, maybe that was a good thing. Falling -or in our case sliding- to your death doesn't really call for smart aleck kind of remarks.

"You know, I thought slides were supposed to be fun, not death traps."

Damn. I guess I can't control my inner smart-aleck.

"Well they are in Saw." Robbie says.

Huh, so I guess he has a hard to contain smart-aleck personality as well. Small world.

"Wait. How do you even know about Saw, let alone watch it?" I say

"I had an older brother."

Had. Almost instantaneously an image pops into my mind. A picture that used to be -or maybe still is- at my old house. Chad and I in Disneyland, sharing cotton candy.

A lump forms in my throat as tears prick my eyes. I blink furiously and try to think of something other than my older brother. He's gone now. No one was left alive in Anaheim. No one except me. The little ten year old who walked 40 miles to L.A, hoping that things would be better and instead finding even more death and destruction.

I swallow the lump in my throat and concentrate on our impending doom. I know, not a good thought, but anything's better than my memories of That Night. Even death.

Suddenly, the almost vertical slope takes a sharp turn and I'm thrown against Robbie.

"Well this is awkward." he says from underneath me.

"Yes. Yes it is." I try to disentangle myself from Robbie but the tunnel-slide has decided to become difficult and starts twisting and turning, making it impossible to get off him. "Now what?" I say.

"You know, this would be awkward in the most normal of situations." he says, looking a lot less uncomfortable than I am.

"Yeah we went over that Robbie, now help me get off." I say, trying to free myself despite the winding slide.

"Uh, Allyson I think we both know that's not going to happen." he says, "So I think you better just relax and enjoy the ride."

I groan, "You did not just say that."

"Well this can't get any more awkward, so I figured I could say it."

I open my mouth to reply when the slide takes another sharp turn and my lips are slammed against Robbie's -well technically it was my whole face but the lips made contact as well-. I hastily pull back, my face going a deep shade of crimson while Robbie looks like a little kid who just got an awesome present for his birthday.

"Robbie you were wrong, this just got a lot more awkward." I say

He opens his lips to answer but at that moment, the slide stops abruptly and Robbie and I are dumped ungracefully into a heap at the bottom of the chute.

"Boys! We got ourselves another one!" A voice calls out from somewhere to the left of us.

I hastily roll myself off Robbie and leap to my feet, coming face to face with a girl about my own age. She looks me up and down as I do the same thing to her. Apart from the black shirt and pants, she appears to be a normal teen, well, as normal as you can get in a zombie infested world, but I know better than to judge by appearance, look at me! Her eyes are a hazel colour and her hair is an unimpressive shade of brown. All in all, I think if I took her in fight, I would win.