Chapter Twelve: Callista's Story (Bonus Chapter)

Continued....

Callista's P.O.V

I can't help but admire the hunters, I mean, I know they make their living hunting Z's and all, but it does take some skill to successfully dispatch a Z in that time period.

"Do you know who they are?" I ask Damien.

He shakes his head, "No, I'm pretty sure they're new to the field, I think one of them's called Alice or something."

I let my shoulders slump in disappointment. Damn, I was hoping it would be someone like RS -the seasoned Z hunter that usually visits our camp-, but I guess I'll have to be happy with these. I mean, I really, and I mean REALLY want to be a Z hunter when I grow up, it would be so cool. Treking across the country -or what's left of it- hunting Z's, that's what I want to do with my life. Damien however, doesn't share my ideas of adventure, he just wants to live and die here in this crappy little refugee camp, never to see the outside world. Loser.

Damien shakes my arm, "Is it just me, or are these Z hunters really young?"

I squint across the plain, trying to make out their features, Damien's right, they do look young. In fact, they look about the same age as us?!?! What?!

"Um Dave, what info do you have on these  hunters?" I ask the man beside me -David, Dave for short, our camp's manager of 'outside stuff'.

"Well Callista apparently these two are very seclusive, we could barely dig up any info."

My ears perk up, okay, this interests me. All camps keep tabs on the Z hunters in the area, anyone that isn't kept track of is either of no importance or spend more time fending for themselves, and I like those types.

"Continue..." I say.

"Well this pair have been in the field for a short time, but they have a record better than some of the seasoned ones, I've heard that they killed more Z's in one day than RS did in a week."

My mouth drops open, okay, these guys are pretty bad-ass, RS is like the best of the best. He once killed 30 Z's in one week, and that's A LOT!

"The information we do have is pretty useless. Let's see, Allyson Darlington and Robbie Simons. Apparently they're both fourteen, the girl came from Anaheim, California and the boy came from San Diego, California. They've been in the field for two months now, and apparently have quite the reputation."

My mouth literally drops to the ground. FOURTEEN!?!?! That's MY age!

"Is the girl hot?" Damien asks.

I hit him with my hat, "Really Damien?! I'm asking questions about the Z hunters and as soon as the subject of a hot girl comes up you ask if she's hot?!"

"An honest question." he says, putting his hands up in mock surrender.

Dave chuckles, "Well you can decide that for yourself, they're almost at the gate."

Damien and I turn. Dave's right, "Dayum, she IS hot." Damien whistles.

I shoot him another glare before descending down the staircase towards the gate. I must say, even though these two are supposedly my age, there's something about them that suggests they've seen a hell of a lot more than a normal teenager, Especially the girl, her eyes are too wizened to suggest she is still innocent. (A/N she means in experience, get your minds out of the gutter :| ) Something's happened to her that's far worse than any of my experiences.

She turns to face me and I suppress a shiver as her piercing green eyes lock onto mine. In them lie no love or happiness, only cold, hardened pools of sorrow and regret. She's definitely had something happen, and whatever that is obviously turned her into the person she is today and sure as hell isn't relinquishing it's hold anytime in the near future.