An accident

"What was that?!" I wondered, staring at the truck now motionless on the road, tomatoes scattered all around it.

A loud, erratic honking sound had come from the truck, drawing my attention to the driver, who was now unconscious, slumped over the wheel with blood on his forehead. My heart raced as I assumed he had been shot.

Reacting swiftly, I jumped off my bike and lay flat on the ground, hands behind my head, as if surrendering to an unseen assailant. It was a desperate move, praying for mercy to spare my life.

"Damn it, damn it, damn it," I muttered, my mind in a whirlwind of panic. "Why did I get myself into this mess? Why couldn't I just be patient?!"

With my hands behind my head and eyes tightly shut, I felt completely helpless. The news stories about thieves striking on this very road flashed through my mind. Fear gnawed at me, and I silently begged for safety.

A moment passed, and the surroundings fell eerily silent, the truck's horn having stopped on its own. The only sound I could hear was a subtle, distant rustling in the forest.

Peeking cautiously from one eye, I slowly scanned the area, looking left and right for any signs of danger. Nothing caught my eye.

My skepticism grew, and I rose to my feet, still on high alert. I strained to detect any presence, but no one seemed to be around.

"It must've been a normal accident," I assumed, trying to steady my nerves.

Feeling relatively safe, I dashed towards the truck, determined to help the bleeding driver.

As I approached, my eyes fixed on the bleeding driver, concern etched on my face. (The car is still on...) I noted, before a realization dawned on me, (Hold on a minute, what did he even collide with? There's no deer or rock that could've caused such damage...) I glared at the front of the car, "There's no sign of collision on the car either."

"Regardless," I said, pulling out my phone in a hurry, clicking one of its buttons to turn it on, but it doesn't respond. I assumed it was off, so I clicked constantly on the red button, trying to turn it on. "Come on!" I yelled, feeling frustrated, "Now is not the time...."

(Come on...just work for god's sake...) I muttered, trying to get it to function properly. As I dialed the emergency number, the battery showed no bars. (It's empty...how could this be? I left it on the charger all night...)

"119, what's your emergency?" the operator answered.

"Uhh. Hi, please send an ambulance to Gaba's fores-" The phone turned off abruptly, running out of battery.

"SON OF A BITCH!" I yelled, my frustration boiling over. I almost slammed the phone on the ground before holding back my anger, "Really?!" I exclaimed at the lifeless device.

Suddenly, a rustling sound came from behind the truck. My heart skipped a beat, and I took a few quick steps back. (What the hell was that?) I panicked, before returning to my senses. Deep breath (Goodness gracious, get a grip of yourself man, it's probably just a squirrel...)

I approached again, cautiously walking around the truck. The net holding the goods was torn, and the crops lay scattered on the floor. I tried not to step on anything as I scanned the back of the truck.

(The food must've attracted it) I thought, glancing at the back of the truck. It still had a lot of tomatoes in it, held by the back barrier of the truck. "Where is it...?" I wondered, unable to detect anything on it. I returned my phone to my pocket, deciding to rely on my own eyes.

I attempted to climb the back of the truck to get a better look.

Suddenly, a strong gust of wind blew against me, pushing me back.
*Splash*
A piece of tomato hit me squarely in the face, causing me to stumble and fall behind.