Chapter 8

Alex couldn't believe it, he was at a loss for words. All he could do was look at Angeline, he knew nothing good would come from going down those stairs. But he knew SHE would not wait for much longer. Angeline couldn't believe the emotion that was showing in Alex's eyes. She recognized the voice, even though she had only heard it a few times in her life, she knew exactly who it was.

      Noticing that Alex wasn't moving, Angeline grabbed his hand and slowly headed towards the stairs, towards the woman that belonged to that voice. Angeline was relieved that Alex didn't give to much of a fight to go downstairs, she wasn't sure how she would handle the situation without him by her side. 

     They finally make it to the final step, and they notice her standing by the front door. Angeline's heart felt like it was in her throat, she didn't know what to say or do. She finally looked to Alex and he was lost in his own thoughts, it wasn't until SHE cleared her throat and finally spoke again that he really focused on what was going on.

        "About time Alex, you know I hate waiting. Now how about you come give your baby sister a hug?" Alex just stood there and looked at her, he finally asked, "Lexie what are you doing here? How did you even know we were here?" Alex hadn't spoken to anyone about to going to their family cabin. "Oh please Alex, you know John can't keep any secrets from me," Lexie said with a smirk. 

    Angeline had only met Lexie a few times during high school. She could almost be Alex's twin even though she's a year younger than him. She had the same brown colored hair, but she had these amazing blue eyes that always screamed mischief. Lexie was a born trouble maker, and had been sent to a boarding school, her parents hoping it would straighten her up. She didn't get to come home very often, not to mention Alex wanted to keep Angeline as far from his sister as possible. 

    "So Alex, what are you doing here? Shacking up with your old high school sweetheart?" Lexie asked while wiggling her eyebrows. Angeline could feel how hot her face just got after Lexie asked that, and while thinking about the kiss they just shared upstairs. Alex's voice cut through her memory when he responded with a rather harsh tone, "That is not what is going on here, I am trying to keep her safe. And I'm pretty sure if you spoke with John then you already know why we are here. And know that we are planning to leave tonight. But you have yet to explain why you are here. What do you want Lexie?" Alex was trying his hardest to keep his anger in check, Lexie always did this. She was never able to stay out of Alex's business, no matter how hard he tried. She always weaseled her way in, and always left a trail of broken hearts on the way. 

     Lexie always knew exactly what buttons to press to push her brother over the edge. But she knew this time she needed to play her cards a little differently, she wasn't here to cause trouble but to actually help Alex get out of it. She knew though that with her track record that Alex would be hard to convince, and she would have to prove that she really does have good intentions. So instead of egging him on she changed tactics, "Alex I am here to help. I know I tend to be the cause of your troubles, but this time I want to help." Lexie figured being straight forward and honest may benefit her this time instead of beating around the bush. She turned her gaze to Angeline while still answering Alex's question. "I know you've always had feelings for Angeline, anyone with eyes could see that, and she clearly always felt the same. But for whatever reason you were both blind to it. Then I heard about the crazy chick you dated and how she wanted to separate you two permanently. I know you think I'm always causing trouble, but this time I can help and you're going to let me."

    Angeline saw the genuineness in Lexie's eyes. She could tell that she was telling the truth, but Angeline also saw that Alex looked extremely angry. He was fighting with his inner thoughts. He was stiff, his jaw clenched tight, and his fists balled up at his sides. He was staring hard at his sister, he didn't know what her angle was. She's never been the one to help get out of trouble, she's normally the one starting it all. The silence was starting to get to Angeline, she couldn't handle it anymore, but before she could speak she heard Alex say, "Why?" Both women looked at him, his eyes still staring straight at Lexie. She slowly made her way to stand right in front of him, then she took a deep breath and said something that Alex was not prepared for, "Because I want to make you proud of me again. I don't want you to look at me with disappointment or anger in your eyes. I remember when we were little and how you were always on my side. I know as I grew up I changed, and not for the better, and it changed the way you looked at me. I just want you to be happy to call me your sister and not the pain in your ass." 

     The 2 stared at each other for a moment, Angeline didn't know much of their past and how it changed. She did know that they used to be really close and something happened between them and it ruined their relationship. It sounded like Lexie really wanted to change his perspective of her. After her confession of her true intentions Lexie stood still waiting to get any kind of response from her big brother. What she didn't expect was for him to grab her and wrap her in the biggest hug ever. A hug that she hadn't received from him in years, it was so full of love. It immediately brought tears to Lexie's eyes, and she hoped that the moment would never end. 

    They slowly pulled apart, Alex wiped away the tears that were falling down her cheeks and he smiled at her. All the anger he was feeling had vanished and he couldn't help the smile. He was finally seeing his little sister again, the woman he knew she could always be. Someone to look up to, someone he could trust. 

      Alex sat listening to his sister and Angeline talk about random things while he thought about their next move. After the shock of Lexie being there subsided, Alex and Angeline packed up their belongings and headed to the office to watch the video of Amelia. Nothing appeared out of the ordinary, other than her just standing there. She didn't do anything for a couple of hours. They figured it was a way for her to prove that she was not at the cabin. But if it wasn't her, then who broke in, who took the picture of Angeline and left the note?