Chapter 7

"Angeline what are you talking about? You know I want this to end, but I can't let you do that." Alex couldn't make out the look in Angeline's eyes but he knew it wasn't good. Before Angeline had a chance to respond Alex's phone started ringing. Alex saw it was the head of his security team and answered it immediately. "Hello John. What?! Are you serious? How is that possible? Angeline received a note from her today. How can she be in two places at once? Okay, I will take a look and let you know if I see anything out of the ordinary. Thank you. Goodbye."

      Alex ended the call, not saying a word to Angeline. With what she could hear of the conversation she knew something was not right. Something bad was coming and she knew it would not end well. Alex looked at Angeline, reaching for her hand he led them to the couch. After a few minutes he was finally able to find his voice. "Angeline, um I don't know what to think. I'm sure you have an idea what I am about to say, but uh yeah, apparently John has footage of Amelia outside my apartment building. She was there this morning around 8 am, so I don't know how this letter got here or who took that picture but it was not Amelia." 

     Angeline felt like someone just poured water down her back. She didn't know what to say or even what to think. Alex felt her shaking and wrapped his arms around her, trying his best to comfort her. "John asked me to watch the video of her and see if anything looks strange or can give us any kind of clues. Right now he is sending a team to the cabin. They will be here this evening. I don't know who, but I think Amelia has someone helping her. That is the only explanation to how this letter got here." 

     Angeline was nodding her head to what Alex was saying but she wasn't sure if he realized that someone had come into the cabin and took that picture. Fear started creeping into her heart. What if someone hadn't broken in but was already in the house? Someone that had access to her room even if she locked her door. Alex noticed that she was deep in thought, and that she looked like she was about to fall apart. "Angeline, what are you thinking? I know something is bothering you. You only bite your lip like that when you are truly stressed about something." Angeline hadn't even realized she was doing it. She was terrified about voicing her thoughts, what if they were true? What if he was actually helping Amelia and together they wanted her dead? But why? She knew the only way to find out was to ask. Just like Alex knew her and her habits, she knew his. Even after all these years, he was still the same Alex. She would be able to tell if he was lying. 

     "Alex, did you take that picture?" Angeline finally found her courage to ask him. Alex looked at her and without hesitation, "No, I did not." "Then how could someone come in here and take that picture, that was taken this morning, here in this cabin, in my room? I know the doors were locked and the alarm was set, I watched you check it all before we went to bed. Can you explain that to me?" Alex's face suddenly fell, he hadn't realized that in the picture she was laying in the exact bedroom that is upstairs. He didn't even notice that she was wearing the exact same pajamas from last night. He felt like he let her down. "I am so sorry, I don't know how I missed that. I swear I did not take that picture. And I promise I will not let anything happen to you." 

     It felt like hours before Angeline finally broke the silence. "I believe you, and know you want this over just as badly as I do. But do you think that it's safe staying out here? Clearly whoever she has helping her can find their way in here." "That is why John is having the team come out, they will be escorting us to another location," Alex said and slowly a smile spread upon his lips. Angeline couldn't help but start smiling, she didn't know why they were acting in such a way, but she knew Alex was planning something. She shook her head at him and started to get off the couch. "I'm going to go pack for our next mysterious location. Which I'm guessing you're planning to keep that a secret as well." Alex's only response was a wink. Angeline giggled at his lack of words and made her way upstairs to pack up clothes.

     As she reached for the doorknob to her room, Angeline felt a presence behind her. Before she could look, strong arms made their way around her waist. She knew exactly who it was and could only lean into him and smile. Next his mouth was right next to her ear and whispering, "I promise Angeline I will keep you safe. Even if I have to keep you by my side 24/7." Angeline felt herself melt at his words. When she finally turned around, while still wrapped in his arms, she saw him grinning at her. She knew he meant what he said and that he'd do anything to protect her. But she also knew that grin meant he was also being serious about keeping her right next to him. And in that moment she leaned into him and placed her lips upon his. Alex's grip only tightened, and he deepened the kiss. Bringing him back to the night of the ball. This was their second kiss and it was even more powerful than the first. Without saying a word, Angeline was able to express so much to him. 

     Neither wanted the kiss to end, but they needed to catch their breath. Angeline was the first to pull away and they stared into each other's eyes, allowing what just happened to sink in. They both knew they had feelings for each other but with everything going on with Amelia they hadn't had the time to talk about their relationship. Alex was the first to break the silence, "I have been wanting to do that every since we talked at the diner." Angeline felt herself blush, because she knew that she has been imagining his lips on hers for the past week. She nodded in agreement and said, "Me too." 

     They slowly unwrapped from each other, while still holding their gaze. Next, they heard something crash downstairs. A look of shock and fear crept on their faces, especially when they heard the voice that had followed the noise. "Angeline! Alex! Oh please won't you come down and join me. And please don't keep me waiting, Alex you of all people know that I am not one to keep waiting."