stately old house

Start from the beginning

Bill put his arm af round Matty's shoulder and kissed the top of her head.

"This is all mine."

"What is?"

"All of this."

Wike Rideout waved, as he walked up the driveway to the general store.

Bill waved back.

"This whole place."

"Well that was the deal, my love."

"No. You don't understand. 

For the first time in my life, I realize that I am responsible for someone else except myself.

A whole lot of someones."

The two watched as several of the younger residents of the Bay rode past on their bicycles, their laughter echoing in the semi silence of the Bay.

"That is what it is all about. Children laughing. People waving and saying hello. Community."

The smell of a barbecue came on the breeze and the faint sound of people singing could be heard.

Bill took a deep breath.

"Smell that? That is real."

The whole time Bill had been speaking, Matty had been staring at him. She rubbed his arm.

"Sweetie, are you okay?"

Bill turned to her, nodding.

"I am more okay than I have ever been in my life."

Jarge flew down and landed on the railing. He squawked a couple times and  jumped down to the landing, waddling away from Bill and Matty.

Bill laughed as he watched Jarge disappear.

"Yea, I am okay."

"I read the report that Henry gave you about the structural repairs on the houses and such."

"Well I did agree that the TBL would pay for the upgrades."

"That's a lot of money."

Bill looked at Matty.

"I think it will be worth it in the long run."

"I talked to John Dove and Clayton and they are going to reassess the situation and try to get the owners to help pay or do the work themselves. It will be cheaper for us to pay them, rather than bring in an outside crew."

Bill seemed to be ignoring Matty. He was silent for a moment but then asked, "do you think you would still love me if I were broke?"

Matty shook her head.

"No. I'm in this strictly for the money. I have always wanted a sugar daddy."