Part 10: Long Way Left

So, here's this! I have quite a few parts stocked up because I have a lot of school stuff, but it's okay.

Also, a few of these will be quite long.

Enjoy!

-- -- --

Toast's heart ached as he watched the kid wander through the kitchen, looking for any trace of a human's presence.

He couldn't get the sight of the poor boy's scars out of his mind. Why would he do that to himself? he thought.

His thoughts were interrupted by Simon's quiet sigh. "Doesn't look like anyone's been here in a long time..." he muttered, disappointed.

Toast stepped out of the doorway to let him through.

He took a single step into the main room, when a high-pitched growl broke out.

He reeled back as a small childlike creature stumbled forward. It slashed it's two blades at Simon, making him back up.

Toast fumbled to grab his pistol, then aimed the barrel at the monster. He hesitated. What was he doing?!

Simon cried out in pain as the creature slashed at his leg, cutting deep.

Toast shot the thing twice, and it fell. His hands shook as he put the pistol back into it's holster.

Simon whimpered and gingerly touched the cut. "What happened?! What was that noise?!" Ghost yelled, running through the door and almost hitting Simon.

"Just another monster..." Simon mumbled. Ghost looked down and saw the cut. "Jeez, that looks painful! We need to wrap that up or something," he said, rummaging through his bag.

"Nono, it's fine," Simon said quickly. Toast heard a small beeping noise, then watched as Simon took out his phone from his pocket.

"Someone needs help," he said, his eyes widening. He started muttering to himself, then went back outside.

(A/N: And now this because I'm lazy and I want to get to a good piece in the next part-)

They continued through the apartments, travelling through the floors and unlocking doors. There was a blood-covered door that was locked, but they paid no attention to it, since there were plenty of other doors that wouldn't open.

They eventually got to one room where a crash rang through the air.

"Is that the person?" Toast asked, slightly frightened. Simon shook his head. "No, they're on the fourth floor."

They went on to find a hole in a wall. "So that's what made the noise..." Ghost muttered.

They went through, fighting off a monster that was hiding under the bed.

Afterwards, they entered an office-like room. Simon scowled, then put a hand over his mouth and nose.

"Yech," Ghost said, pinching his nose. "What's that smell?" Simon looked up, horror swimming through his eyes. A dead body lay above the roof tiles, a rotting arm dangling down with a pistol in it's grip.

Simon shuddered, then jumped up to reach the gun. He wasn't quite able to reach it, so Toast stood on his toes and grabbed it. He handed it over to him with a smile. "It's better than that little knife," he said.

Simon took it and muttered a 'thank you'. A small clattering sound made them jump. Simon crouched down and picked up a key. He hummed and looked at the door.

He tried the handle, and then noticed a little lock on it. He chuckled and unlocked it, opening the door. It turned out to be the bloody door they had ignored.

"What's the key for?" Ghost asked, making Simon flinch. "I don't know," he answered as he put the little metal object in his pocket. Ghost nodded, and they made their way to the fourth floor.

As they walked down the hall of the fourth floor, Simon got another text. He checked it, then looked at the door we were passing. "In here," he said, carefully putting his hand on the doorknob.

The door didn't open. He took the key from his pocket and put it in the keyhole. It fit, and he unlocked it. Toast stood behind Simon as he went in. He watched as Simon turned the corner, a horrified look covering his face.

"Oh no..." he said, rushing into the room. Toast followed close after him. "Did he do this to himself?" he heard Simon mutter.

Toast's breath hitched as he took in the scene. A man lay in a blood filled bathtub, obviously dead. Toast saw Simon reach into the tub and pull out another key.

"This one's for the basement," he said, turning around. Toast nodded, still shocked. "What's in there?" Ghost asked, impatiently. "N-Nothing, sir," Toast said, ushering him out.

They took the elevator to the first floor. Simon led them to the basement door, and unlocked it. They went through, and slowly went through the dark.

Simon had a flashlight on his phone, which was good. They went through another door, and not long after, they ran into another monster.

This one looked like a woman, but... wrong. She floated forward and chittered at them.

Toast heard Simon grunt, then turned to look at him. His stomach churned at the sight.

Simon was slowly putting the barrel of the pistol under his chin.

"Kid!" Toast cried, frozen in fear. Simon tore the pistol away before pulling the trigger, then shot the creature down.

"Why did you do that?!" Ghost cried, tears in his eyes. Simon shrugged, still scared. "I... I don't know..." he muttered, looking at his hands. "It's like it was controlling me..."

Toast grimaced. "We should take care of these ones from now on, then," he said. Simon nodded.

They continued through the basement until they found another syringe and a videotape. Toast looked it over. "We'll need a VHS player," he observed.

"I saw one in one of the rooms!" Simon said hopefully. Ghost chuckled. "Alright, cool. Let's find it then."

Toast followed the two as they made their way up to the TV with the VHS player. When they found it, Simon slid it into the player.

They watched in terror as a man's head was cut off with hedge clippers. It went to static for a moment, then revealed the man's front.

Before he was dragged away, they made out the numbers '4769' carved into his torso.

"Ugh, disgusting!" Ghost cried. "I think it could be the code to that keypad on the top floor..." Simon told the other two quietly.

They went up the stairs, and sure enough, it was the code.

Toast typed it in, and the doors opened. They filed in and rode down.

Soon, the doors opened to a bloody version of where they had just been.

"Oh no..." Simon said.

-- -- --
This one was so long, wow-

But now, a preview for the next part. (which I'm very excited about!)

"Please sir, stop!" Toast cried.

Ghost cackled and lunged towards Simon, the knife swinging down over the boy.

Simon tried to dodge, but since he was still tired from the fight and weak from being sick, he ended up being stabbed in the shoulder. He cried out, tripping and falling to his side.

Ghost tackled him as Toast ran to help.

"Bye-bye, kiddo!" Ghost laughed as he raised the knife once more.