24 - His Name Was Phil

Tony, Steve, and Y/n all sat at the table in the control room with Fury stood at the head. The three at the table all sat with a look of numb shock on their faces. 

"These were in Phil Coulson's jacket." Fury turned around, looking at the Captain, "Guess he never did get you to sign them." He threw a few trading cards down on the table. The corner of one was covered in blood. Steve picked one up and clenched his jaw. "We're dead in the air up here. Our communications, location of the cube. Banner, Thor. I got nothing for you. Lost my one good eye. Maybe I had that coming." The man with the eye patch paused and took in a deep breath, "Yes, we were gong to build an arsenal with the Tesseract. I never out all my chips on that number though, because I was playing something even riskier. There was an idea, Stark and L/n know this, called the Avengers Initiative. The idea was to bring together a group of remarkable people, see if they could become something more. See if they could work together when we needed them to, to fight the battles that we never could. Phil Coulson died still believing in that idea, in heroes." Tony abruptly stood up and left the room, not wanting to hear anymore of the man's speech. "Well, It's an old fashioned notion."

Steve stood up a minute later and started walking in the same direction that Tony went. Before he left the room. he turned back to the girl who was still seated at the table, "You coming?"

She sighed and shook her head, "I need to be alone for a bit."

The soldier nodded in understanding and left the room, leaving the girl to het thoughts. After another minute, she stood from her seat and left through a doorway the opposite direction that the boys did. 

-

Tony briskly walked into the room that the suits were held in only to see Y/n fixing up his suit helmet. She didn't look up at him as he made his way toward her and wrapped his arms around her waist. Pressing his front to her back, he rested his head on her shoulder and watched as she worked. 

She eventually placed down the tools in her hands and turned around in her boyfriend's embrace, hugging him back. 

Tony ran his hand through her hair, "Are you okay?"

She shook her head, "No...but I will be."

The man sighed, "We found him." He pulled back from her and moved toward the table where she was previously standing, "We need to be ready to go in about 10 minutes."

She nodded, "Well, the helmet is the only thing that really needs to be fixed before we can leave, your suit will have problems but you'll be able to fly for a little while."

"And how long is a little while?"

She paused, thinking, "About two hours."

"That's all we'll need."

-

Tony and Y/n fly up to the top of the Stark Tower where Dr. Eric Selvig stood next to a large device with the Tesseract at the center of it. "Shut it down, Dr. Selvig."

The scientist looked at the two and Y/n frowned when she saw that his eyes were a light crystal blue. He smiled, "It's too late! It can't stop now. It wants to show us something! A new universe." 

The billionaire sighed and raised his hand, shooting a repulsor blast at the machine. It hit some sort of shield and exploded, sending the scientist into the ground and the two flying people in suits off balance. 

Once they got themselves straight again, Jarvis explained what just happened to them, "The barrier is pure energy. It's unbreakable. The Mark VII is not ready to be deployed."

Tony groaned inwardly, "Then skip the spinning rims. We're on the clock."

The two made their way down and Tony landed on the gauntlet that took his suit off and began walking inside. Y/n flew ahead of the man and landed inside, still wearing her suit as it had not been previously damaged by the fights.